Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Building a 2 wheel track road.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Building a 2 wheel track road. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to build a 2 wheel track road across 900 feet of former woods and brush fields. The top soil is good and deep, from years as a forest. It is high ground, no marshes. I'd like to know your experiences with a project like this.

For example, do I need to remove all the top soil so the gravel road won't sink? I can put down Geo-cloth and pour 6" of gravel on it ...how long wlll it last? Are any of the common farm implements of any help in cutting the wheel track ditches. Do I even need wheel track ditches?

Traffic won't be heavy..just cars, pickups and an occassional hay wagon or horse trailer.

I'm sure some of you have done this. What did you learn?

Many thanks, Edd

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 2 wheel track road. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i use a 2 bottom plow to form ditches and move dirt to center of road...then finish grade it with a 3 point blade...the ditch helps keep center of road from holding water and getting soggy...a 6'' bed of clay followed by a few inches of gravel will build you a solid road for many years.

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 2 wheel track road. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in about 74 our family built a half mile road through woods that goes up and down hils and across a creek. we just did light grading to make about a 6 inch deep ditch 3 feet off to the side of the tracks and used that dirt to make a crown in the road. Make sure to put places for the ditch water to get away. We did have to pay attention to where water would run on the hills so we wouldn't have it get washed out everytime it rained. We used #2 crushed stone in low spots and on the hills. We then put (I think they were #53) finer grade stone down and only 2-3 "deep total. Some people like the stone with rock dust in it as it packs well but it has a tendency to make pot holes. I think a road made from stone with no dust holds up better(lets ground dry under the stone) and costs less to truck. We have to grade the hills every 2 years and the rest of the road only needs it ever 4 or so. The more traffic you have the more you will have to grade it though. Oh yea, one more thing that is important. If you are cutting the trees out make sure you cut the stumps off as close to the ground as you can or better yet pull them out. they will stick up high as the rest of the road gets packed down and settles and can snag your grader blade and small dia stumps can punchture a tire!. Good luck with it.

johns48jdb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 2 wheel track road. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ed, your close enough to al to maybe know what cert is. its red clay with rocks in it and makes a good sub base for most roads around here. drive on that for a while and the added crushed stone as needed. normally around here the cert is the only thing needed. don't put the road any where near any place you take out a stump. it will take years for the hole to fill in and become stable enough to drive on unless you pack it full of some big rocks first and the add crused stone on top of that. just puting in dirt will never dry it up for a lone time. just don't ask my boss about me driving his 8630 off in a stump hole that had been just filled in with dirt for about a year. ok?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters