Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Thank You Dell - 12V Conversion Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Thank You Dell - 12V Conversion Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Afeter I performed a 12V conversion on my '49 8N, it was always hard to start. I read in the archives that Dell suggested a 1/2 ohm 20W resistor. The conversion Kit (TISCO) said to wire the original balast resistor in series with the 1.2 ohm resistor supplied in the kit. These instruction are wrong and Dell is right. Anyone using the TISCO kit would be well advised to go to Radio Shack and buy a 1 ohm 10W resistor to put in parallel with the one supplied in the kit.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thank You Dell - yer welcome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad it worked for you.......the embarrassed Dell

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thank You Dell - 12V Conversion Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote]Anyone using the TISCO kit would be well advised to go to Radio Shack and buy a 1 ohm 10W resistor to put in parallel with the one supplied in the kit.[/quote]

So you now have the OEM ballast & (2) 1 ohm's in Parallel or what ? If that is true your Fix didn't do much of anything (.2 amp increase in starting) and you are good for GO

Dell has always said to use "ONLY" the Parallel Resistors in the circuit. That is absolutly Wrong, for 2.5 ohm 12V Coil, and you will burn out your coil in time.

If you only have the Parallel Resistors in the Circuit, then you have another fault(resistance) in the ignition Circuit.

It is a fact that High Current results in easy Starting and LOW current ~2.2 amps will be hard starting. Most PLL would trouble shoot why the current is/was "THAT" low.

Your Tractor,

Marty 2n IL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank You Dell - 12V Conversion Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not the electrial wizzards you guys are but the last one I did I used the orginal resistor just because there was no radio shack near me. It had a 12 volt coil already and hacked up wireing with no resistor so I started over when I was done I had 13.5 volts into the battery and 11.8 on the coil still running fine.

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Thank You Dell - 12V Conversion Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote]I had 13.5 volts into the battery and 11.8 on the coil still running fine.[/quote]

Marty 2N IL,
If you used the OEM Ballast your likely OK because it's a PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) Resistor which means its resistance changes with current. Its designed to protect the coil by limiting @ 3 Amps.

Now your Voltage reading! Those I assume where taken with the tractor running. The Coil during operation has an inductive impedance that flips DC theory, that is when voltage is high (Max Inductive impedance) current, in the circuit, is at its lowest value (180 deg) It is when the Current reaches Max (minimum inductance) that voltage will be at its lowest value. It is this value that we need to know & a meter does not read minimum Voltage. That is why you require a scope to evaluate Operating (running) systems.

The Static DC measurement, with points closed, is the reading that you want. With a OEM ballast and 12v (2.5 ohm) coil you will measure ~ 8.0 Volts

Hope this Helps,

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters