Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

TO-20 Tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in VA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: TO-20 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I haven't posted anything in awhile, but I still read the messages every day. I have learned alot of stuff. I have a couple of questions. I bought a PTO seal from my local tractor part supplier and it matches the part # in my book, but the seal I took out has the felt dust on one side and the feathered edges on the other side. The seal that my supplier gave me doesn't have either, does this matter or will it work? My second question is one of my shims is broken in the axle housing, can you still get these or is it ok to try to put it back in with some silicon on it? Thanks for all the great info, Tim

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: TO-20 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim, good to see you posting again.
I can't help you much on the PTO seal, I've never tore into one of those.
On the shims, I'm assuming your talking about the shims that go between the axle hub and the axle housing? You should be able to get new axle shims from your nearest Agco (Massey) dealer. If it is just broken, the rest of the bolts should hold it in place, you can probably re-use if your careful. You can use silicone on it, make sure it is clean on both sides, and use a THIN, barely enough to make it sticky, layer of silicone sealer.

George

Jim in OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: TO-20 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are several different parts that are sold for this seal. They all work. The old wide felt one is not available (as far as I know). I suspect what you were sold will work but you will need to get into it to tell... I have even heard of people putting two of the narrower ones back in together, sometimes with the lips in opposing directions.. one as a outside dust seal the other as an oil seal.. Jim

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-20 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

.020" Shims are available from Sparex if not from your MF dealer..part # S42035 remember if you use any form of sealant on the shims it will make the shim thicker so the clearance will not be as it should be it will be greater unless you allow for it. The original PTO seal isn't available anymore, a seal with a single lip is ok but if you can get one with the double lip it will be better. One of the things that damages these seals is when you get grass wrapped around the PTO shaft, it winds it in as the shaft goes around. so protect it.

Tim in VA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-20 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone for their help. The shim was broken in two places and I used a little bit of silicone to hold it in place. I guess I will have to start using the PTO cap when I am not using the PTO since they have changed the style of the seals. I am sure I will have more questions in the near future. Thanks again for all of the advice, Tim

minnesotabuck
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-20 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just replaced the Pto seal on my ferguson to-20 last week, we used two opposing 3/8" seals. One is used for the oil seal the other is used to keep dust out of the back. Worked great and we have no leaks.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters