Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Poured gas in tank for the first time today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hndymann22
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well got the hood sitting on it, and decided to pour a gallon of gas in her to check for leaks..lol... While pouring the gas in, felt something wet in my shoe, and looked down and gas was running off the tractor and into my shoe...Didn't even have the valve open on the gas tank, looked under the hood and gas was just pouring out of all kinds of holes. Pulled the hood back off and pulled the tank, and sanded it down a little and so far have found 32 pin holes in it. Would almost bet there are more. Guess its time to talk to wife about a loan to get a new tank. lol... I dont even want to chance trying to fix this one with so many holes in it. Anyway that is how my 4th has started today, but the family is coming over for a cookout this afternoon with the grandkids so that will make up for it...
Happy 4th To Everyone out there, and a Safe One.....

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had that problem..

I cleaned it really good with a wire brush.

Then I cleaned it really well with some soldering flux and a torch very small Oxy/Propane torch (acetylene is way to expensive for the bang you get).

After cleaning it really well, I put about a 1/8 inch layer of 60 - 40 solider on it.

It helps that I learned soldiering working at a radiator shop with my Dad many years ago.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dunk your lucky to be alive. Any type of tourch and a gas tank do not mix and can/will explode in your face and its just like a gernada going off.
Hobby farm

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't try to fix that tank with a tourch as it can/will blow up unless you clean it better then most people have the stuff to do it with. Now some things you can do is have a radiator shop clean and fix it or you can put in a tank liner which costs around $30 or so. Or of course you can replace the tank with a new or used one. I have a good used one on hand right now but it has old gas in it right now so don't know how good it is
Hobby farm

hndymann22
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well done some calling around, and found one for 60.00. I figured that would be the best way to go. He said it had no leaks, and would stand behind it if it did. So I am going to pick it up friday and see how it does... I figured the price is right, after looking at the price of a new one.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't even try it, I have welded and cut on propane tanks!!

I'm not stupid, purge a tank fore you go at it with fire.

Fill it with water a couple of times, and pour it out and let it dry.

I told you my Dad and I worked at a radiator shop.

BELIEVE it or NOT, I KNOW how!!

Greg_Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I even purge them with CO2 when I do them.(disclaimer - do not attempt this at home)

Smiley courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org

AM-Seb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have to tell this one. Years ago I worked as a garageman at a Post Office garage. One night the foreman got everybody together to show how to safely solder (or however he was going to repair) a good-sized truck gas tank. He'd had it steam cleaned inside and outside for a long time. We were all assembled next to a bench when he started. A terrific "BOOM;" the big clock on the wall fell down; and the tank swelled out like a great fat hog. No one got hurt, but many laughs were stifled. Angelo.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya but Dunk remember on here if you tell some one how to fix some thing you need to tell the the whole story so by saying something you don't get some one hurt. When I first read what you said it sounded like you just took the tank off and went at it with a torch and doing that will get some one dead.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I'll have to agree that I didn't idiot proof, or disclaimer my post. Thanks for keeping me honest.

I also left out the part about removing it from the tractor.

I hardly ever tell anyone that you should turn the tractor off before even attempting a compression test.

Folks, if you don't know that gasoline will/can blow up, unless proper safety procedures are followed (and even sometimes then), you may be in the wrong game.

If I ever tell anyone to check for gas in the tank, Please remember NOT do it with yer Bic lighter.

I might also add that the real proper way to do it is NOT with a torch, but with a soldering IRON, but that can be a very aggravating thing to use, and keep at the right temperature.

Buss

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"for the first time today"
Reminded me of an old song.
I would paint the old tank yellow poka dotted and plant a flower in it.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dunk that sort of reminds me of a story I heard once. A guy need to check the gas in a tank. The tractor was in a poorly lit shed so with out thinking he pulled out a book of matches and lit one up to look in the tank. Well you know what happened he never did that again of course he also couldn't because the shed burned down with him in it. People don't always think before they do which can be very bad at times. Like the other day had a guy helping me with a baler and he was spinning the flywheel so I could watch the knotters work. Well he didn't watch where his fingers where and got his little finger between the flywheel and the frame and may have broke his finger. He knew better but he was thinking about something else at the time instead of what he was doing and where his fingers where
Hobby farm

Ramrod
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have the time, I would take this new tank to the radiator shop and have it cleaned and coated inside. Then when I get it home, I would spray it with truck bedliner from walmart to make it last forever and be trouble free. I do them all this way and they look good too.

Ramrod

BillM (OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, Dunk, I fixed on of my old jalopies' hole in the gas tank with a soldering iron years ago, with no problem.I don't think it gets hot enuf to ignite gasoline - anyway, worked for me.

kcred
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Poured gas in tank for the first time today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you gotta do it yourself, put dry ice in the tank ,if available.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters