Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Removing bendix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom N MS

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Removing bendix Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going to replace old style bendix with new style. How does old style come off of the shaft. Must be a pin I am not seeing.

Carl (NH)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing bendix Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I recall some old posts I read, you have to retract a spring somewhere on the shaft and that reveals the pin, which you then drive out with the appropriate drift, or it just falls out. You may have to put the thing in a vise in order to get it to retract enough to reveal the spring.
I hope I have this right - hopefully someone else will jump in on this and either confirm or correct what I've just said.
Well, I just checked the archives and here is what Dell says about it: "this has been asked and answered many times, you might want to browse the "archives" at the top of this great N-Board.

But for you special, the secret for removing and installing yer bendix is yer left-armpit. You doubt? Gently clamp yer starter shaft UPSIDE-DOWN in yer bench vise and with yer armpit, press down on yer starter motor. That will compress yer internal Bendix spring fully expose the spring roll-pin and you can hold a drift-pin (nail) and eazily hammer yer spring-pin outta the starter shaft. Isn't that AMAZING?

Replacement is a reversal of the removal....except....many like to slightly "bevel" grind the end of the spring-pin before re-inserting. Again use yer armpit and drift-pin. Simple, eh?..........respectfully, Dell with dirty pitts

Carl

Tom N MS

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing bendix Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I knew I had seen it before but, guess I just didn't compress the spring enough.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters