Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3pt. Lift Arms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widget
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: 3pt. Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well i haven't posted for awhile so i suppose its about time. The problem i am having with my 1950 8N is with my 3pt. system. When set to draft mode the 3pt. arms raise fine and lower to about 3" from the ground. When in Position control mode (lever up) the 3pt. arms raise just fine but refuse to lower any lower then 1/2 way. I have adjusted the quadrant by loosening the 4 bolts/screws as directed by the FO-4 manual and adjusting but to no avail. How can i get the arms to lower as they should? Where else do i start? Thanks guys.....Bryan

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt. Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, gurus...

Let me ask a question about this.

Can't he take the plug out of the test port to verify if it is mechanical, or fluid pressure related?

If the test plug is out, and it still won't go down it is a mechanical issue, right?

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt. Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If we can eliminate hydro problems, then it has to be mechanical.

The lift arms only go on the rocker shaft one way, at one point, they have 2 splines as one, only go on one way.

I don't know about the yoke that holds the rearward end of the dog bone, as I never could get it loose, and gave up in the interest of not busting the housing (I wanted to replace the bushings).

The only other thing I can even come up with is for some reason yer hydro piston not going but halfway in, and the only reason I can even dream up for that is a broken ring somehow in the front of it, and turned lengthwise, stopping it from going to bottom.

I have heard of some folks saying that the rocker shaft, inside the bushings was so rusted that it wouldn't move, solvent, WD-40, PB Blaster where the arms touch the case might help that over time.

I never heard of a lift that wouldn't go down fore I started playing on here, this stuff puzzles the heck outa me.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt. Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I'm off my rocker, but still on the case..

Now that I have read that for the 15th time.

It does go down, and works right in draft mode.

It only don't go down in position mode.

So it has to be hydro.

There are 2 or so springs under the cover that are adjustable.

One of them is outta whack.

There is a websight on the net with good instructions for putting the top cover in a vice and adjusting it, I don't have that handy right now.

I have an opposite problem, and I am sure it has to do with the same adjustment.

Sometimes my lift will act weak, like it couldn't pick up a bag of sand.

I can put it in draft, and step on it with my right heel (the draft/position control lever), and it will pick up anything instantly.

Widget
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt. Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well Dunk, sure sounds like i need to order that hydro gasket set after all. Here i come again Ebay!! So much for a quick fix/adjustment, LOL.. Would be a good time to order up the NAA piston and gasket too, the old lift will only hold my back blade up fer about 1/2 hr. before she drops to the ground.(in draft mode of course) the bottom of the blade never drops below 4" or so off the ground in position control mode. If anybody else has any ideas please feel free to chime right in but for now i will follow Dunks lead and attempt to remove the top cover for a look see...Thanks Dunk.....Bryan

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 3pt. Lift Arms (Found It) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It took quite a bit of searching this AM to find it, but here is the adjustment link.

http://members.aol.com/Go4Rain/

There is another that is really similiar, but just a little better IMO, but I can't seem to find it.

K.LaRue-VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 3pt. Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might be a bent control arm. Mine was acting strange, I couldnt see oil spraying or anything obvious through either side cover so I pulled the top cover. The sump was full of sludge and when I got a look at my control arm it was anything but straight.

After cleaning out the sump, straightening the control arm, and some trial and error tweaking of the adjustments it was working much better. But I was not completely happy with it until I went ahead and bought Zane's jig. Actually it was the instructions that Zane sent with the jig that made up for 50+ years of wear and tear and finally got my lift working exactly as it should.

kl
8N Jig

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters