Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Generator/drive belt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peachhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Generator/drive belt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just wondering, how hard should it be to pull the belt tight when changing the generator on a 3000? I say that because tonight my tractor ran warm for the first time I can remember. I was dragging gravel, after dark I finally turned on the lights and noticed the temp gauge getting up towards red. I quit, parked, throttled down and let her cool off but before shutting down I took a look around to see anything out of the ordinary. I can't swear to it but it looked like the belt might be slipping. I do remember it was a lot easier than I thought it would be putting the gen back on so now I'm thinking it should have been a lot harder, and maybe I need a new belt. I was able to pull the generator all the way back and get the bolts in using both hands. I always remember having to use a pry bar when changing the alternator in any car or truck I've had.
I also remembered I haven't changed the oil in my air filter for a while, going to do that before I do anything else.
Forgot to clarify this is a 67 3000 diesel.

Last edited by peachhead on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/drive belt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have pretty much always used a tool to tension the belt. A loose belt is an occasional cause for overheating.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/drive belt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Assuming the belt is the correct size and not burnt or chewed from slipping, re tension, and then press on the free span with a finger, I like
about 1/2" deflection at the mid point of the span. Too much and you are harder on bearings than needed, too little and you slip..

peachhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/drive belt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's kinda what I figured. I will check it again in the daylight tomorrow and see what I need to do. Thanks for the help!

I hope that turns out to be the problem, but like I said I need to clean the air filter anyway, and will take a look at the radiator fluid. I know it has not been changed in a long time.

peachhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/drive belt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just an update- the belt was not only stretched but was in the process of splitting and coming off the fan pulley altogether.
So started putting the belt on tonight, will finish tomorrow. Learned the hard way that it helps to go through the top after moving the battery tray (duh! moment), makes it a lot easier to get the belt on and off over the fan. I say off because I was trying to save the belt if I could just in case, it wasn't until I got it off that I realized it was splitting so badly.
Anyway that would definitely have been the problem. Got a new belt from Advance for $5.00 believe it or not, changed the oil in the air filter (which was still fairly clean) and did check the radiator. I need to get some antifreeze tomorrow, it needs filling but it doesn't smell bad so I think I am ok on that.
If I don't get stormed out I should be able to finish all this tomorrow and be back in business.

peachhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/drive belt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the belt back on today and seems to be working fine. Also learned the hard way not to get your fingers behind the generator when you push it all the way forward. As my mama used to say, that smarted...

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters