Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Little genius furrow axle lift spring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy as in Randy-IA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Little genius furrow axle lift spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi All , I can't seem to find a original lift spring for the furrow axle on my #8 plow but I did find a new garage door assist spring the right length give or take a couple inches . Problem I have with it is the zinc coating . It has .207 wire size and is 1-1/4" diameter . How much strength it needs to be is another question . I don't have one to compare it to so I'm guessing on the length . I do have the land axle assist spring but they are obviously different lengths . Anyone have an idea how to remove the zinc coating if it has the right strength to lift that side of the plow without ripping the mounts off ? Sandblasting isn't an option right now . If anyone has one they don't need let me know . Thanks ...Randy

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Little genius furrow axle lift spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Randy, I am just slow. Hope to make it this week to send you all the pictures and will have pictures of the plows showing all the parts in what you said you need so you can see if any of them will work. Haven't measured my springs but the land axle spring has a longer bolt to fasten to the front than does the furrow wheel. Look to be the same. Had a backhoe rented for yesterday & today to pickup between 10 & 11, got there at 10:30, it was out on a job, supposed to be back at 12 - 12:30 and brought direct to my house. hasen't shown up yet this morning. Was spending all my time getting ready for it. Lester

Randy as in Randy-IA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Little genius furrow axle lift spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Leroy , That's OK . I was just expanding my options and trying to figure out how to get this thing operational . You know I have never seen one used before and the neighbors are all to young to know about them . I've been told that the plow can be used without the spring . That may be true but I'll venture a guess that the soil has to be very light and mellow with a very good land tire tread ( or a tire chain ) to get the traction to lift it out of the ground . After I wrote this I noticed that the heel casting on the rear landside was missing also . There's one of those on one of the other plows I got but I want to fix all three so I don't really want to start taking parts off one for the other . Those two others are hydraulic lift and they don't have assist springs even though they should for the furrow axle to help level the plow . So in all I've got to find three springs and the newest missing piece the heelcasting for a bottom with the quickchange shares .

Hope that backhoe shows up ! You might be getting some rain soon . It's been raining off and on here since yesterday morning . When this rain is over it will be a good time to cut the third hay crop . I noticed the alfalfa was just starting to form buds yesterday , it's not quite knee high now and the cool season grasses obviously aren't doing much , about 12" tall is the tallest I've found . Just to hot for it this year I guess . I like to cut after a rain as I've noticed it recovers a lot better not to mention generally lower humidity levels so it dries down a lot faster . Thanks Leroy ! Take care ! ...Randy

Maark

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Little genius furrow axle lift spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to your local JD dealer. Get a scraper spring for a 220 or 230 disk. They are black and works great.

Randy as in Randy-IA
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Little genius furrow axle lift spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Mark with one A or two ? I'll check on that as a final resort . It's got to be better than a bright garage door spring ! This isn't a restoration but a " get it working again " project . I prefer to use the old origanal parts if I can right down to the old rusty washers and cotter pins if they are salvagable . That way it'll match the old rusty tractor I'm gointg to use it behind . I do make some adjustments to that attitude though such as I just made new lift links for the tailwheel out of 3/4" hot rolled rod and the quadrant latches out of 1/2" hotrolled . But they rusted up good in the rain so they can't be told from stock without a close look . And they tightened things up considerably . I'm putting in some brand new square head bolts and I'm going to make new bellcranks for the tailwheel lift also . I don't see the point for me to sandblast or paint it because the deep rust pits in the cast parts are a dead giveaway that it's not origanal paint , and has sat for years buried in a field . But hopefully it'll work beautifully when I'm done with it and that's all I want . ...Randy

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Little genius furrow axle lift spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should be getting a package in the mail this week. Included will be the dog tape and pictures plus a copy of the plow manual plus pictures of all the plows I am going to part for you to see if any of the parts will work for you. 2 of them have both springs on and they are 5/16" diameter and coil (excluding ends) is 20 1/4" for short spring and 22 1/2" on long one and have all the parts for the tail wheel. Saw your post above, is email staying the same? And the plow that was converted to hydrolic was supposed to have the lift springs removed and the one that was orignally hydrolic never had them. The lift springs are only used with clutch lift plows and the John Deere clutch lift never had them on and the Oliver clutch lift I cannot remember if it had any or not but I don't think it did have any, Don't remember any on the Moline plow either but it has been 38 year since I got rid of the moline plow and 36 year since the Oliver plow. If I can find the time to hunt the books up I will see if JD, MM, Case or oliver list them anyplace.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Little genius furrow axle lift spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just went out and measured on the plows and the rod that controls the swing of the tail wheel is only a 1/2" rod with a casting on it to control adjustment with the rest of the rods 3/4" except for the latches on the levers and that is 3/16". Had 1.1" of rain today and just starting to spit rain again. The backhoe I never did see.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters