Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdajason
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a 1950 John Deere model A that I bought from my Grandpa. I am trying to hook the generator for the first time in ages. My dad said he was too cheap to buy a battery so they always parked it on a hill. So I have the wiring hooked up as shown in my I and T manual and when I connect the negative battery cable (positive ground) it sparks and I can hear it making a humming sound from the negative battery post and smells like something is slightly burning. The battery is a good one (started it all last winter and this summer no problems). Also, I am not hooking up lights to it nor have a key. I am kind of lost on what to do. Not sure what I am doing wrong or if that means my regulator is bad or what that even means. I don't think it should do that. Any help would be great. Posted some pictures of what I have, hope it helps. TIA!

Last edited by jdajason on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdajason
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JDIH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like you're using a 12 volt battery in a 6 volt system. Is it a distributor or a mag? If it's a distributor it's likely the coil you smell burning. As long as it hasn't been used in years, I would file the points in the voltage regulator.

JDIH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And it looks like your ammeter isn't hooked up and also at least one terminal on the regulator. Might take a little work to get it charging on its own

ndbjda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would get a wiring diagram for the 47-52 A showing it with magneto. I betting that you have a stuck regulator and when you hook up the battery it is trying to make the generator run. A generator is basically a DC motor in reverse thus will draw amps/volts with stuck or improperly wired regulator. If it were mine I would do a complete new wire harness.

Todd Young
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1951 A should be 12V Positive ground. The Alternator might be trying to motor when you hook the battery up on the voltage regulator is stuck.
I would rewire the tractor per the JD A diagram and change the voltage regulator...

-Todd

55 50 Ron
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

His pictures show a generator, not alternator.

55 50 Ron
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a 51 A would be a 12 volt system. From the photos it is easy to see that the regulator isn't even in the system as there is no wire
connected to the BAT terminal so filing the regulator points won't do a bit of good. As others have said, "Best to put in a complete new
harness per a known diagram".

55 50 Ron
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you know it has a magneto? 51 A would much more likely have a distributor.

55 50 Ron
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's obvious from your pictures that there is no wire connected to the BAT terminal of the regulator so the humming you hear when connecting
your battery cable can't be the generator trying to "motor" as there is NO CONNECTION to the generator. Until you connect the "system" to
the regulator BAT terminal, the generator and regulator are totally isolated from everything else in the system.

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let's try this one.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a look at the diagram below.

Note the Armature lead (Key 3) located underneath the voltage regulator.

Take a look at the photo below.

Note the BAT terminal in the middle.

Take a look at the photo below.

Note the red armature lead that is connected to the armature terminal located underneath the regulator.

Polarize by using a jumper wire and momentarily jumping from BAT on voltage regulator over to A-Armature to get a small spark.

Hope this helps.

RLA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If Grampa coasted it all the time to run the tractor I assume it's sports a mag?

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have no other wires hooked up yet and just the battery cables get hot check where the cable hooks onto the starter. On those models it is VERY close to the rod you push down to start it and can easily touch if out of position. Also check for bare or pinched spots where it runs under platform and flywheel cover.

ndbjda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 John Deere Model A Generator Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Without a battery and the Gen not hooked up the only ignition source would need to be a Mag. I have a 1950 A factory Mag never had a hole in the dash for a switch.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters