Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bene
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My problem is that I don"t know how these 8n"s are supposed to handle a PHD with 12" auger???
I can"t imagine I"m doing any thing wrong....I can"t lower this 12" auger any slower and still be digging. I lower the handle 1/2 inch at a time and bring it up to dump it out a little. I am just beshide my self in what is still wrong after trying it last night. ..It does squat the back tires a little now when trying to lift, but still won"t lift or raise it up once PHD gets stuck a little. I envision that the hydralics should be so strong that it should raise the front end up if the auger is stuck enough...I just don't know how strong the hydralics should be...Can any one tell me?

I just don"t think that an 8n hydralics will handle a PHD, or else I still need some pump work.

New Relief valve, piston and cylinder has helped it some but still when I get down part way it will grab and I have to quit. I can"t help but think that the hydraulics or the new relief valve is poping off or something. Has any one taken that cap and screwed the relief valve down which will cause the relief valve to pop off at a higher pressure???

I would really like to here from someone that can dig a 36" to 42" deep hole with a 12" auger on a TSC (speeco model 100) post hole digger??? (LINK BELOW) can it be done???

I"m also noticeing that post hole digger will settle in 10 minutes now after shutting it off up in the air, hydralulics still leaking somewhere. I still don"t think this new relief valve is working correctly.....is there a best place to purchase a new relief valve???

A pump rebuild is the only thing that I haven"t done yet.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!!!

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bottom line is you have more PHD than you have tractor.

A PHD is, w/o question, the one most dangerous implement you can ever operate, and trying it w/ an under powered tractor is just asking for trouble.

To safely operate a PHD, you need a live PTO & live hydraulics, neither of which is on your N. You can not run the auger & the lift independently and the hydraulics have no down pressure.

Now, having given my safety lecture......I've got a MF-PHD; it's so heavy it takes two people to attach it to the tractor. I only use it on my N to dig 6 inch post holes in my very light sandy soil because of the very problems you are experiencing.

don t-9n180179

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 9" auger on my tired 2N. I have no problems unless I hit a rock or root. Dig down maybe 5 seconds and puller up to clear. Repeat as needed.

If it don't look like its gonna come back up, stop digging so you don't bury the head and haffta dig a 2' round hole so you can disconnect the auger to find the bolt so you can manually cork-screw it outta the ground. BTDT and wore out 2 T-shirts(no grin).

Regards.....don t. .....

Danny in CO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have to agree and disagree with Bruce below. A PHD is a very dangerous implement for these old Ns. However, I have used my Lienbaugh (sp?) PHD with 6", 9" and 12" augers for years with very few problems. I have worn out 2 sets of bits for each auger. I'm now on my third set of bits. On only 2 occasions have I had the tractor not be able to get the auger out of the ground. The first time was when my 12" auger caught a rock about 2.5 feet down. I had to use a long pipe to back it out. It took a lot of work and time. The last time (about a week ago) was my own fault. I was using my 9" auger and didn't pull it up quick enough and it went all the way down. The gearbox was partially under ground. I dug around the gearbox down about 10" and then my 48 8N pulled it right out.

Bene with you problem, I would suggest you use a smaller auger (6" maybe) and then go back with the 12". A 12" auger will put a strain on your N if you let it bite too much before cleaning out the hole.

Your hydraulics may still have a problem. It take my 8N about 20-30 minutes for it to leak down to the point where the auger hits the ground.

Good luck,
Danny

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bene.. you do realize that the hyds are tied tot he pto.. thus.. to have hyds.. the pto must be spinning.. i fthe auger is screwed intot he f=ground stuck and yer foot is on the clutch.. you have -no- hyd lift.

Also.. if you have the engine at an idle to make the auger slow.. the hyds flow will be DRASTICALLY reduced and the lift will virtually 'creep'

Another thing... The auger would have to lift straight out.. if there is any side pressure.. it is a friction pile.

If you are concerned about your hyd pressure.. put a test gauge on it.. the test port is 1/2" bolt thread as far as i know.. If you can get int he 1500-1700 psi range.. you have the most that little pump will put out.

I still think your problem can be corrected with technique.

You mention you are dropping the lift handle 1/2" at a time.. man.. that's just too much.. moving it even 1/8 of an inch will make a small drop.. but the time you give it 1/2 ont he handle you are giveing it enough range to bite in good..

If you had live hyds.. you could correct for this faster.. etc..

Soundguy

Bene
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I realize the pump must be running for the hydralics and the pto to operate

I alway get off and unhook the PHD driveshaft sooo that when its in gear now only the hydralic arms are trying to lift which in my opion is weak at best....even running at full throttle with the position lever full up will not lift is out of the hole and maybe some of it is side pressure....or maybe 8n's are just hydralically weak (to small of a pump).....pretty disappointed because this tractor will do most any thing else....plenty of power to run the auger.

Where can I buy that type of gage to test it??

I'm also sure it depend on soil type as to how much it digs in.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You've been told nearly a dozen or more times now -EXACTLY- what an N lift will pick up.

You've been told the pressure rating on the pump ( your fo-4 manual would have told you this as well ).. 1500-1700 psi and 2.85 gpm at probably around 2000 rpm.. etc.

For a gauge.. i'd try a hyds supply store. You will likely need to fab up a fitting to screw it in.. The old hokie may be able to fix you up there..

Soundguy

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried putting a slip clutch on the PTO drive for one and loosening it up till if the bit hangs the PTO and the hydro is still working?

HanksterV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's all in the "technique"..used both a 9 and 12 incher on my 2N NUMEROUS times.....and yes, got her stuck a time or two....shut down, unhook PTO shaft...."unscrew her out"....then go at it again...but with the right method and "feel"..you can do it. Dig easy, don't try and HOG it out!!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a good way to burn up a 100$ clutch with quickness to me..

Soundguy

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bene.......12-inch PHD auger is almost TOO BIG for the non-live PTO to lift. Also make certain yer auger screw-in points/flights are SHARP. This helps to dig in with sharp cutting edges. Make certain your auger "sheer-bolt" is soft grade #2.

12-inch augers are usually used for shallow planting small trees, not fence posts........Dell

Bene
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Thanks thats great advise.....the auger is new so its sharp. I do have a 9 and will try it or do you think a 6 might be better suited??? I want to have enough room to straighten the 4" post in case the hole is not straight.

I want to thank everyone for your input on the questions. All of you but one seems to be at least using a tractor or making reference to using one.

I really don't need any more advise from souNdguy.....thanks everybody else.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After my laugh, I have to say that it will be your loss, Sounder gives good advise, all the time, and lots of it!!

Hang in there, SouNdguy!!

gahorN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, souNder is a good-un! Mighta got a leetle xsasperated with repeatin' thangs but...don't we all! Laughing (He was still bein' helpful, Bene... ya got more than ya paid for) Wink
I've found that my demeanor is N-directly related to how late it is, how many problems I've already had to deal with in the day, and how many Beck's I've had when I came upon the latest, oft'-repeated question. Laughing

gahorN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-Using Post hole digger on 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way, Bene...it ain'tchur pump that lets it leak back down. It'schur piston.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters