Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N oil problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Depressed in PA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am just a novice with my 1949 8N for about a year. After a carburetor rebuild it was running well, so I bush-hogged our 10 acre field. During the end of this it seemed to smoke a lot, especially from the oil filler hole. I decided to change the oil (for the first time since I got it), and to my surprise found several pieces of metal in the drained oil. They were thin, thinner than a dime, but a couple were the size of a nickel. I know this sounds bad, so I am wondering how bad. Before I noticed the metal, I had put it back together and ran it to distribute the oil and it still ran OK, but smoked from the filler tube.

RP-40-9n

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

steve, is that smoke blue-black or white? i would recomend a compression check to start with, to get an idea of whats going on. it seems it was running pretty good as you mowed 10 acres. it could be as simple as a head gasket, or possibly bad rings. RP

Steve in PA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The smoke has been white.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did the metal have any curvature to it? Could be the pieces from an old sleeve, but it would seem like anyone w/ half a brain would have removed them from the pan.

Does the engine have a thermostat? W/o a thermostat, it never heats up properly & you get a lot of moisture in the crankcase.......which 'smokes' out of the oil breather. Check out tip # 25:

http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint268.htm

You could be seeing ring blow-by, so a compression check would narrow that down.

Briar Creek Stables

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The little chunks of metal are your rings. The thinner ones are the oil rings at the bottom of the piton. The nickle sized chunks are your compression rings.

The smoke you have coming out of the filler tube is blow by

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

White smoke could very well mean you also have cylinder wall damage and you're getting moisture in your cylinders

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds to me that if you can put the tractor down for a while then I would:

drain the gas tank out. pull the hood off. pull the head off and see if your head gasket is bad.

thats the cheap check. ya may get lucky.

GAJIM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve: White smoke means water is getting into the combustion chamber. The white smoke is really steam. Hopefully, it's just a bad head gasket. GA Jim

RP-40-9n

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

white is good news, thats from moisture. sounds like a haed gasket. the metal peices you found in oil pan could hav been there 50 years ago. if you change the head gasket, be sure to coat the bolt threads with non hardening permatex to prevent water seepage around the threads. RP

Steve in PA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 8N oil problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is definitely curvature to the metal now that I'm examining it closely- it seems all the same thickness like sheet metal but inflexible. I now think it most likely is sleeve pieces, but does that mean a broken sleeve is sitting there? Thanks for your help. I need to check on the thermostat issue.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters