Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

More help with an M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary north of Spokane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: More help with an M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back on the 15th I posted here to get help with my M transmission problems. A few guys were kind enough to post suggestions that were very helpful,(thanks, guys!) but the problem still exists. In frustration I am trying to get some more ideas from this distinguished group. Picture this: in neutral with the engine on. Shift into first with just a little grinding. Drive it around. Push in the clutch to shift back into neutral and a hellacious noise begins and the clutch won't disengage. Riding both the clutch and brake pedals to avoid hitting the dog/car/workshop and finally turning it off. It worked before when I put it in first; why not now? So......tractor club guys come over and we install a new disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and return spring. No joy. Split it again and everything seems ok although the new throwout bearing now has 1/8" lateral play. Installed a new bearing from Mother Deere, reassembled it, fired it up and.........you know the rest. Any more ideas with this? I now believe it is in the tranny vrs the clutch but don't know where to start. Thanks again in advance. Anybody wanna buy an M, cheap???????

DaveS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: More help with an M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm assuming you replaced the pilot bearing along with the throwout bearing... If not, it may be locking up and if it does, it will cause the exact problem you are describing.

Gary north of Spokane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: More help with an M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, no, Dave. It actually has a pilot bushing. I'm trying to figure out how that would work; is the propeller shaft locked to the flywheel then? i.e. the clutch is separating as it should but the propeller shaft continues to turn anyway????? It makes a lot of sense, actually. I am willing to split the thing again on your advice as these are desperate times. Any clue as how to remove the pilot bushing, my friend? Hopefully then I can go away and not bug you guys. Again, thanks!!!!!!

Dave H
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: More help with an M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More theory here

If you have a pilot bushing and the prop shaft has been running in there for decades, it would be unusual for it to be galling and locking up with the prop shaft. Dissimilar metals also.

I don't get it either. If the clutch disengages, the coupling between the engine and tranny is over. I think the noise and disengagement probl sha to be in the clutch. You got free travel?

jCarroll
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: More help with an M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've only been inside a 40 clutch - which has the bearing, not the bushing, so this is theoritical advice.

Deere has good engineering. My first guess is that the bore for the bushing has a counterbore which would let a hook get behind (toward the front of the engine) the bushing and pull it out.

#2 - tap the inside of the bushing to permit threading a rod into the bushing, and use the rod as a slide hammer to extract it.

#3 - drill it big enough so that you go through the wall of the bushing, and then tease the pieces out with a cold chisel. The bushing will drill easier then the flywheel - you won't hurt the flywheel.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters