Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 4020 paint job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
df

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1972 original 4020, 1 owner w/ 3500 org. hrs. I want to paint it and really get it back right for show. It has a WF & ROPS/Canopy. I have always done my own work in the past, but I really want this one nice. It has very, very minimal sheet metal damage. It has some surface rust on the fenders and canopy. I would like to sandblast it prior to painting. If you incl. sandblasting, body work, and painting what is a fair price to pay someone? I have a quote from a bodyshop for $2,500.00. That seemed a bit high I thought. Should I use the org. JD paint or do a basecoat/clearcoat finish?

Maark

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should never sandblast a running tractor. Sand will get into bearings and seals and other places that you won't believe. Only sanblast pieces that you can remove.

schrocky

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PLEASE DO NOT BLAST, only what youi can remove as stated here earlier....it will cost more but it is worth it. I generally spend $3500 and up plus paint when I redo a tractor of that size. You will not be sorry when finished

Will P
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My boss has a 580 Case and he was quoted $2500.00 to blast it and paint it. More if acid cleaned. He didn't want it blasted.

Will

I BLEED CLASSIC GREEN
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The quote you got from the body shop is right.

msb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have sand blasted my first and last tractor. Never again.Especially the sheet metal. Too much chance of stretching and warping the sheet metal.Will also deform the cast iron surface. If you want to take it down to bare metal, use FITs paint remover paste recipe and his electrolysis method.Price sounds reasonable. Be sure they used epoxy primer too.Paint type depends on how you wish it to look.For a super nice look, use the base coat /clear coat method and put any decals on before the last few clear coats go on. If you prefer it look more like the original, use the Classic Deere paint with hardner.

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Price is actually quite low. Get everything on paper BEFORE it is started. Go with BC/CC , it isn't that much more and looks beautiful on the slick sheet metal of a 4020. Never let someone else blast your tractor! Everything stated by the others below will happen. Only if you blast it yourself with a small pressure blaster with no more than 70# pressure and do your homework on the masking , will you get a good job without ruining anything. It's like anything else , you get out of it just what you put into it. By the sounds of the condition of the sheet metal , I would just strip it with a DA sander(on orbital) No need to blast it. Make sure they use epoxy primer first over any bare metal. Make sure everything they use after that has a catylist (hardner). Make sure they use a the complete system from bottom up recommended by the particular manufacturer they choose. They may deviate from it a little if they are an experienced shop and the deviation has proven itself viable for them in the past. Get a look at some work they have done for others. The one thing that will make or break the finished product is COMMUNICATION between you and them BEFORE and DURING the project as to your priorities and the smallest details that you think are important but they may not. Do not use phrases like " it doesnt have to be a show tractor" and "don't worry about that,it will never show" etc,etc. They should request,but if they don't,you should request that you come look at the progress ocasionally because there will always be more questions arise on behalf of both parties at these visits. Establish that it has nothing to do with mistrust but that you just want to make sure EVERYONE is happy and on the same page.Good bussiness creates the atmosphere for a good job. Everybody wins. I saw a '68 4020 done up this way at a show last week. Wow!! That has got to be the cleanest, slickest,and prettiest tractor ever built! No wonder a nice one will bring $15000 at the drop of a hat. Good Luck on yours!

Dairy Farmer in WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i had a 4020 with a cab painted at the dealer for $1500 and that was including decals bodywork, and sanding. did a good job too. they also put clearcoat on it which really made it look great. i think $2500 is reasonable
DF in WI

sodly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a contrary view. Have you considered leaving it original? If the paint's decent, I wouldn't touch it. Minor flaws are what give a tractor character. Original paint tractors are getting harder and harder to find.

rexhellwig
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's something to consider. Once the original paint is covered, it's gone forever.

Assuming the metal is straight, I would take lots of pictures of the ol' gal to verify the condition before painting. It could pay off down the road.

5020s rock
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2,500 sounds reasonable if they have a good reputation. i am not keen on the sandblasting,
like the other guy. the new thinking seems to be tho<< leave it alone, maybe waxing and buffing? the
"original look" is becoming very popular.

Dave H
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

df

If the tractor is that well kept, the original paint does not have an adhesion problem, ask around about paint removal. I do not subscribe to the theory of all the old paint having to come off. It does have to be worked down and any dings and bad spots taken down and repared.

Also, I think that any good acrylic enamel like PPG in Omni looks great when put on in single stage (no clear). Looking before passing judgement or arbitrarily taking advise could lead to unnecessary work and expense.

However stay away with the sand blasting. Like said if the tractor is to be kept or used blasting will be the ruination of a good machine.

If that quote consists of doing it right - no chips showing on the cast areas, no paint stuck on the tires, inside of wheels done right and underbelly done right etc, where i live, that would be a good deal.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's another vote for leaving it original !

But if you must paint it only sandblast the parts you pull off of the tractor. KEEP THE SAND OFF THE TRACTOR.

df

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4020 paint job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all SOOOOOOOOO!!!! much for the comments. I kind of like the original the more I think about it. At least this way I can still use the tractor and not worry about a nick here and there. You all had very good comments and very valid points. I did sandblast a 37 B one time, but as you know there is very little sheet metal and very minimal room for error. Thanks again Df in NC

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters