Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

'48 8n cranks too much

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustmop
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: '48 8n cranks too much Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"m working on an 8n that sat under a tree for 2 yrs. Wires from + solenoid post were burnt so I replaced the individually. It cranked and cranked and cranked whenever I connected the battery ground. No matter what I did, it cranked. I"ve since replaced solenoid, resistor, key switch, all wiring, terminal block. All wiring matches 12v diagram. It has worked normally twice but as soon as I push the start button it cranks and I have to pull the battery cable. It cranks with the - solenoid wire pulled off. I put old solenoid back on and there's no difference between old and new.

Anyone got any ideas????????????

Ken Crisman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '48 8n cranks too much Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you check the safety starter button ? Sounds like it fried & is stuck closed .Are you certain you connected the battery cables correctly . It could also be a short in the starter & solinoid cercuit . I'm curious as to what you find so let me know please . Good luck & God bless, Ken

Dustmop
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '48 8n cranks too much Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've completely disconnected the wire from the starter push button. It still cranks. When I check with my meter between the push button lug and the gear case it's open then I push the button down and the circuit closes. I'm reasonably certain it's not the push button especially since it still cranks with the wire off. While I hold the ground cable down and let it crank, I can operate the push button and hear the solenoid clicking in and out. The battery is connected with positive to the solenoid and negative to the gear case like the 12v diagram shows.
I appreciate your thoughts..keep them coming..it's just a machine..designed to work when everything is right.

OKDAD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '48 8n cranks too much Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dustmop,
I will assume your starter/solenoid is like the one on my 49 8n. The solenoid is just a big relay and should be easy to test.

I suggest the following:
1. Remove the copper bar from the solenoid to the starter. Leave other connections connected.
2. Turn on the key and see if pressing the start switch causes the solenoid to click (close) and releasing it allows it to open.
3. If it does not release remove the control wire on the solenoid. If you hear it release there is a short somewhere in this wire to ground.
4. If it is still closed (you can check for 12v at the output post) then replace the solenoid. HTH

Ike

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '48 8n cranks too much Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd hookup a test lamp to the 'starter' side of the solenoid, and then ground.. disconnect starter xfer bar.. see if the solenoid is shorted.

Are you using the correct OEm 3 terminal solenoid? just because it is the one on there when you got it don't make it the right one. That guy 'doofus' that chases dan hill around may have been the previous owner of your N..

Soundguy

Dustmop
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: '48 8n cranks too much Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks OKDAD. I did as you suggested and found the solenoid worked properly. I put the strap back on and EVERYTHING worked. Don't ask me. It's fixed. just started working right. Now I still don't know what the cause was or how to fix it again.....Gremlins.

OKDAD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '48 8n cranks too much Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No Gremlins with these machines....just character!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters