Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pipe dope for brass gas line connections?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What kind of thread sealer do I use for brass threads where it is exposed to gasoline?? For example, where sediment bulb /shut off connects below tank and on the brass barbs on an in-line shut-off. Teflon? Probably not for gasoline. Or maybe use none.....
Advise please. Thx in advance.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Teflon tape will work, but you have to be very careful not to get any beyond the end of the fitting as it can clog fuel system components.

I like "Permatex Form a Gasket #3". It is gas resistant, and not supposed to clog if it gets in the line, but still, be stingy with it.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello greenfrog,

Yep! Teflon tape it is yellow for gas piping threads,

Guido.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also use the Permatex Foam a Gasket that's good for gasoline and doesn't set real hard. If the threads are good on fitting I some times use nothing.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gasoil

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Teflon tape should not be used in any pipe installation.

jsborn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wgm wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:17:41 12/20/17) Teflon tape should not be used in any pipe installation.

Please give us more details as to why Teflon tape should not be used in any pipe installation. I am sure the millions of other users of Teflon tape would like to know more.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Teflon tape melts in gas so then it can get into the carb and clog things up big time and can then go back to a solid which can make cleaning it out almost impossible

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NOTHING. Many things if you try to use them gas sort of eats or melts and then it can end up in the carb and cause major head aches and even cause a carb to need to be replaced

Moonlite37
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just not needed. Brass threads are very smooth and seal well

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, just learned that at local ACE hardware store. However we concluded that that kind was for natural gas or LP and not for gasoline and decided not to use it. I think I will use nothing, brass fits good together.
However, all of you who replied here brings up something, in fact might have solved a mystery: last summer I had the 1942 CASE SC into a local implement dealer shop to get carb cleaned and rebuilt. After that, It actually began to run badly and became harder to start. I seeked a second evaluation from another mechanic. he took carb apart and found a gob of something in the intake jet. Wonder if this was Teflon tape?....as they put an inline filter and a brass shut-off inline in the gas line and used Teflon tape. .????🤔🤔🤔

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wgm wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:17:41 12/20/17) Teflon tape should not be used in any pipe installation.

Wow! it looks like WGM is recommending that all teflon tape be dumped and the manufactures close their doors.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I needed some sealer for an LP line and got Blue Monster from a plumbing supply. Good for just about anything but Oxygen. Even sealed a bead on a small snow blower tire.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rector Seal-- professional product made for gas, diesel, lp gas, nat gas.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use Blue Monster for fuel and water lines. I just keep the stuff from near the end of the male part so it does not get into the line.
Richard in NW SC

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters