Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tool Of The Day.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have this little guy. It is about 7" tall and 1.5" in diameter.
I don't know how effective it was, but it's kinda neat little thing.
Loren

PaGlenn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably put a fire out in a cigarette

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Change the sticker to say Harley-Davidson and you made a ten dollar extinguisher a fifty dollar one. They even have a small bracket for that size. Pretty neat !

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carbon tet.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is charged, do not use it ever. If it is discharged, it is just a neat brass container. Carbon tetrachloride It contents are non flammable when in its container, it does put out small fires, but (and a big but) is its extreme toxicity when heated. The following information is valid. My father had a friend that was in a coma fro 6 months and then died from putting out a kitchen fire with one of them. Phosgene gas was used as a WMD in WW2. It has no flash point, it is not flammable. However, when heated to decomposition, it will emit fumes of extremely toxic phosgene and of hydrogen chloride. Forms explosive mixtures with chlorine trifluoride, calcium hypochlorite, decaborane, dinitrogen tetraoxide, fluorine. Forms impact-sensitive explosive mixtures with particles of many metals: lithium, sodium, potassium, beryllium, zinc, aluminum, barium. Vigorous exothermic reaction with allyl alcohol, boron trifluoride, diborane, disilane, aluminum chloride, dibenzoyl peroxide, potassium tert-butoxide, liquid oxygen, zirconium. [Bretherick, 5th ed., 1995, p. 666]. Potentially dangerous reaction with dimethylformamide or dimethylacetamide in presence of iron.
Nice container if empty. If full take it to a hasmat disposal facility.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My parents had the same extinguisher in the Tool Tray above the gas tank in the cab of their new 1951 Ford I/2 ton.

Truck ...V-8...Three speed on the floor........$1,800.00 New delivered.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got one of those laying around here somewhere. I just don't remember where it is. Maybe I'll find it laying in the ashes some day. lol

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See my post it is a real hazzard!!!

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Janickolson has you covered. They will put out a fire, but the fumes from the hot carbon tet are a carcinogen.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighbor kid sold one to my dad in about 1960. Sales talk emphasized "carbon tetrachloride"....like we would know what that was. Hung in the barn for years. More recently, the hazard warnings came out on it.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is empty, valve open since I have had it.
Loren

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When we were cleaning out the in-law's farmhouse we came across several glass spheres about 3 inch diameter filled with a brownish liquid. I had no idea what they were until someone told me they were for putting out stove fires. Just throw them in. I don't remember what we did with them.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember the glass spheres, but I thought the liquid was red. Been 60 years since I've seen them though. I worked at a peach/apple orchard, and they had them mounted on the posts in the packing shed and the barn. A little cone-shaped tin bracket was nailed to the post, and the glass sphere sat about half way down into the cone. Never saw one used on a fire though.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bob Collins
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool Of The Day. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one of those in the glove compartment of my car for years, one day at a fast food place I saw the hood of another car turn brown in the center and start to smoke. The owner got the hood opened and I grabbed my extinguisher and aimed it at the flames...nothing, not even a squirt. Fortunately the fire put itself out.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters