Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-4010 puller wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:35:03 12/29/17) I don't know about that. I've got a 03 chevy crew cab shortbed 4x4 duramax Allison. I know diesels cost more than gas and maintenance/repair is higher but just don't know about the gas hauling. As far as hauling a few cattle at a time no problem. My flatbed gooseneck is 20+5 20k Gvw, I haul hay for the cattle, 15-20 4x5 bales at a time and tractors on occasion. The pulling tractor is a jd 4430 that weighs 10,000 pounds. .

20k is too much for a gasser in my opinion.
But the new 6.2L with 4.30 gears would probably pull it. I would think the GM 8.1L with 4.10's would pull that. Odds are your truck is overloaded with a 20k trailer if its SRW. Whether you care or not is a separate issue.

CNC_machinist
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Every now and then i will cruise thru the
ford and gm lot here in town and they both
are stocking more gasoline HD trucks than
diesels versus a few years ago. Dealer i
purchased my GMC from told me they have
alot of current customers going away from
the diesel because of the maintenance costs
and the constant issues with Emissions.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The emissions on the newer engines is a joke and it?s crippling I think it would be hard to own one that didn?t have warranty on it but after the warranty is when the real good times start because you either have to keep fixing the emission problems on your dime which is very very expensive or delete the emissions and that can be a can of worms . When I worked for a trucking company we spent over 10,000 dollars in one month repairing emission systems on 3 trucks Def filters and other junk trucks throwing codes won?t run right breaking down on the road and everything else you can think of and all emissions related

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And the up front cost too. Typically $9000 dollars and after taxes bang you, you can plan on $10,000 for the diesel upgrade depending on how hard your state taxes you.

There is a place for them. But you really need to be towing over 20k or seriously want the bro factor.

jacks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Laws about the use of alternative fuels vary from state to state. A commercial vehicle operated on the highway with untaxed fuel could lead to a hefty fine in most states. I have run many tanks of untaxed B100 biodiesel in my Dodge 12 valve pickup. I keep a letter addressed to me in glove compartment from our state department of transportation stating that alternative fuels are legal to use on the highway and do not require federal and state taxes to be paid.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretend Farmer, I guess that's why they have horse races. Gas vs. diesel. But I don't understand all this talk about diesels being more expensive to
maintain. In my experience just the opposite is true. I pulled tractors with my "88 7.3 Ford from Canada to Louisiana and all over the rest of this
country and never did anything to it but routine stuff like occasional oil changes, brakes, tires, and such. Other than that I once put a new
radiator in it and new glow plugs, and a clutch. Same thing with My "93 5.9 Cummins Dodge. Has a half a million miles on it. Just had to put another
clutch in it. Other than that just routine maintenance, except once for a front end rebuild. Got 15-17 mpg from my Ford and still get 23 with my
Dodge. I put ton and a half leaf springs on the back from a dump truck so it never squats. There is no possible way that an honest person can say he
is better off with a gas engine than with the most incredible motor ever put into a truck, the 12v Cummins. And regarding your comment about the
economy picking up, maybe you're just not paying attention. Our so-called dollar is supposed to be worth 100 copper pennies, right?. Have you
checked the foreign exchange markets lately. The so-called dollar is trading at 2 cents. That doesn't concern you? And with more and more nations
developing trade agreements that totally bypass the dollar, that 2 cents won't last a lot longer. If you factor in long term, extended indebtedness
for social security and medicare, our nations total indebtedness is over $230,000,000 000,000. That's 230 trillion dollars, increasing by millions
of dollars per minute. Haven't you noticed that the federal government no longer sticks to a budget? Instead, every few months they pass another
"continuing resolution" which requires raising the debt ceiling by a few more billions of dollars in order to keep the government from shutting
down. In other words, we are on financial life support, and cannot continue this borrowing cycle much longer. The piper will eventually have to be
paid. So I have no idea where you got the unfounded notion that our economy is improving but it sure wasn't from the facts.

JimEvans
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can't compare maintenance costs on a 25 year old Cummins with a new diesel of any make. The gasser will be cheaper. The new ones do not get much better mileage than the gas trucks (but they do have 1000 ft-lbs of torque). Diesel is far more expensive and the repair part costs will make you sick.

After that, I lost what you were rambling about with the two cents.

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gas or Diesel Tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Walter,
We are talking about newer diesels. Not 20 year old trucks.
Its kind of a rare find these days to find a 12 valve Cummins that's not all rotted out, beat to hell with a 300,000 miles on it and dudes still want $10,000 for it.
This conversation is generally aimed at newer diesels, 10 years old or newer, if not brand new.
And in that category, most people would not benefit enough from the diesel engine cost alone to justify it. I know I wouldn't.

As for the economy, I realize what is going on in the world. And I am not saying we are doing great, or that the cancer has even reversed itself yet. I am not even saying an economic collapse in the future has been avoided yet. To further explain what I said, I will say that the decay of this country has slowed down a little bit. Will we ever be able to avoid an economic collapse in the future? I doubt it. But I doubt its going to happen in the next 10 years, if even in the next 15 years.
If it does, having a diesel engine isn't going to save you. Hunting and trapping skills, several guns and a good stock of ammo along with a steady water supply and a place to cook stuff will.

Read up on the Argentine economic collapse. That kind of thing is probably going to happen here some day. And if it does, unlike Argentina, the United States will drag down the whole world with it. So will it happen? I think so, but who knows. What I do know is the world depends on a stable US economy far more than a smaller country.

Back to your regularly scheduled program already in session.....

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters