Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

how is this supposed to work...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i bought this many years and don't know if i ever used it. pipe warmer, but when i plug it in it does not get warm. light goes on in plug but no warmth. will it only warm when in contact with pipe ??

Sean Feeney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be junk or its set with internal thermostat, put it in the freezer for an hour and then plug it in and see if it warms up my.02

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

assuming you mean a heat tape, they don't get very hot. Too much fire risk if they did. They will still keep pipes from freezing if installed properly.

Duane WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Possibly an impedance pipe heater.

Dan in North Houston
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

haven't had to use one of those heat tapes in many years (thank goodness), but I seem to remember that some had a thermostat built in, wouldn't heat up until the ambient temp was below a certain point.

farmall 400
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a new one last week and it says the thermostat must be in contact with the pipe my thermostat looks like a push button switch but does not push, hope that helps

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it took awhile but i finally found instructions for its use and you are correct.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks fellas.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just an FYI, I've had pipes frozen when the ambient air temp was too high to get the tape working. Simple fix- took a chunk of ice and placed it against the thermostat on the tape and wrapped it in a rag. Got the tape to work!

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: how is this supposed to work... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the tip. i did it and the cord do heat up.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters