Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pipe dope for brass gas line connections?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super51
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have to agree with 504 on GASOIL thread sealant,it is gas resistant,have used it on Super-C where shut off valve and bowl screw into bottom of tank,never has leaked a drop!Even use it on compression fitting nuts as a backup just in case!

Eric Dahlstrom
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Generally speaking, the condition of the thread or the mating surfaces is most important... If it's a flanged connection, using some PTFE dope on the threads, only provides some lubrication, so that the connection can be properly torqued. If it's a pipe thread connection, the threads are the mating surfaces, and their good condition, and cleanliness is essential... A good PTFE, like Gasoila, will do the job well... Again, it's primary purpose is lubrication, allowing for a proper torque to be applied to seal the threads.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Eric Dahlstrom wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:40:41 12/24/17) Generally speaking, the condition of the thread or the mating surfaces is most important... If it's a flanged connection, using some PTFE dope on the threads, only provides some lubrication, so that the connection can be properly torqued. If it's a pipe thread connection, the threads are the mating surfaces, and their good condition, and cleanliness is essential... A good PTFE, like Gasoila, will do the job well... Again, it's primary purpose is lubrication, allowing for a proper torque to be applied to seal the threads.

Do plumbers or pipe fitters really use torque wrenches? I googled teflon tape uses and found two mentions of lubricating and ten of sealing, Two said that the tape haps in getting the fittings tight, while all of them said it seals. Two mentioned filling tiny voids and imperfections in the threads.

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll add to my own question and to the discussion here....
An old time plumber always told me that pipe dope was used to no only seal, but to allow it to come loose more easily in the event that one should have to take it apart...especially in galvanized pipe.
I also have read that some plumbers use both--tape and dope.
Anyway, good discussion here....good common interest....thx for all the input

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He sure is. Tape is nothing but crap made for use by pretend plumbers/fitters. There has been plenty of good products mentioned here by others. Use one of them. Tape is not one of them.

Eric Dahlstrom
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your question must be rhetorical... The answer is... No, plumbers don't use torque wrenches, their work is done mostly by feel, though, there is a rule of thumb, hand tighten plus two full turns.

There are a couple of types of fittings that we could be dealing with; Flared fittings, used in both hydraulic fittings and fuel systems. And, tapered NPT fittings...

I think for the most part, we'd see flared fittings in the fuel systems. In either case, using tape is discouraged, because there is a chance for pieces of tape to to migrate into systems and cause problems. But, in a flared connection, the condition of the flared mated surfaces is most important. Having a lubricant on the threads will ensure that it can be tightened properly. Torque, is an acceptable term to use... As it's a rotation force.

Tapered NPT fittings are a interference fit, where if they are machined perfectly, and lubricated, and tightened, it is theoretically possible for them them to form a hydraulic seal. But, since manufacturing techniques are knocking out thousands of parts in a run, tolerances can't be kept close enough to achieve that kind of result.

I personally like a paste, because it has the ability flow better, and seal imperfections in materials. But, again make sure everything is very clean.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eric Dahlstrom wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:45:35 12/25/17)
Your question must be rhetorical... The answer is... No, plumbers don't use torque wrenches, their work is done mostly by feel, though, there is a rule of thumb, hand tighten plus two full turns.

There are a couple of types of fittings that we could be dealing with; Flared fittings, used in both hydraulic fittings and fuel systems. And, tapered NPT fittings...

I think for the most part, we'd see flared fittings in the fuel systems. In either case, using tape is discouraged, because there is a chance for pieces of tape to to migrate into systems and cause problems. But, in a flared connection, the condition of the flared mated surfaces is most important. Having a lubricant on the threads will ensure that it can be tightened properly. Torque, is an acceptable term to use... As it's a rotation force.

Tapered NPT fittings are a interference fit, where if they are machined perfectly, and lubricated, and tightened, it is theoretically possible for them them to form a hydraulic seal. But, since manufacturing techniques are knocking out thousands of parts in a run, tolerances can't be kept close enough to achieve that kind of result.

I personally like a paste, because it has the ability flow better, and seal imperfections in materials. But, again make sure everything is very clean.

Eric, I think that you mean metal-to-metal thread wedging as the mechanical means by which tapered threads seal. An interference fit is one with no threads involved, as it is just the friction between two parts that are pressed together, rather than by any other means of fastening. I have numerous times applied a little lubricant to not only the threads, but also the mating surfaces of old flare fittings that didn't want to seal. A trick I learned from an old plumber many years ago.

Eric Dahlstrom
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll agree to your point, on the interference fit... I'm certain that I misapplied the term.

I agree, too, on the point of lubricating the flared fittings.

So, overall, I think we're in agreement.

pat sublett
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you use Teflon tape on gas or oil, make sure it is yellow, that said I personally don't use Teflon tape. I have problems with it leaking 2 or 3 years down the road. I use rector seal on everything that needs sealer which is tapered pipe treads only.

jtwat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I read somewhere long ago that Teflon Tape is not a sealant but adds lubrication to threads so they can be tightened. I only use a liquid sealant on threads. Been using Blue Monster from Lowes. Works well.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JTWAT wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:09:04 12/29/17) I read somewhere long ago that Teflon Tape is not a sealant but adds lubrication to threads so they can be tightened. I only use a liquid sealant on threads. Been using Blue Monster from Lowes. Works well.

Or you may have read it today on this thread,

1948CaseVAI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe dope for brass gas line connections? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://www.gasoila.com/

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters