Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rusty exhaust manifold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerkus730
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm restoring my dad's WD, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to a rusty exhaust manifold? I've been told that sandblasting it is'nt the way to go. Also paint suggestions that can take the heat. Any help would be appreciated

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is the nature of a manifold they get hot and get rusty and that is how it is on any machine. No much one can do to stop that and that tis how all my tractors are and always have been

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could clean it and use VHT High temp ceramic coating (2000 degrees).If you do use it apply it as directed as you bake it on using heat from engine. I did the muffler( baffled) of my IH 450 5 years ago and it shows no signs of coming off.

Allis Dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sandblasted and apinted mine about 7 years ago. I taped it all off and painted the intake portions orange and the exhaust portions with high temp black header paint. It's still kinda black but also kinda rusty. Not much you can do other than the suggested ceramic coating. I've never tried that, but you you can buy them coated for cars and trucks.

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use john deere muffler paint on mine,,,if you want them black..it holds up pretty good and easy touch up if needed later

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ceramic coated the manifold on my International pick-up about 20 years ago.still looks good.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Deere muffler is good paint but only good for 1,300 degrees but VHT ceramic paint is good to 2,000 degrees and comes in a number of colors.

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that might be,,, BUT it has yet to burn off the manifold of my wd 45 that I run square baler with

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put your 45 under a heavy load and work it hard and see how long it lasts. The first time I did the IH 450 muffler I used a 1,300 degree high heat paint and put on according to directions and the first pull I made burnt it off body of muffler. The VHT high heat ceramic paint has yet after 5 years showed of burning off.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd just give it a good wire brushing to remove the flakey stuff. Call it good. Painting exhaust manifolds is a waste of time.

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do ,,it been painted two years ,,not saying it right or wrong just another option

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see no reason not to sandblast, then coat with ceramic.

barney stephens
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rusty exhaust manifold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with tractorguy2 and old.let ma nature have her way!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters