Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

miter saw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfullmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does Dewalt or any other brands have a blade brake on 12 inch saws ? Minor accident with Harbor freight saw would have been avoided with a brake on blade- at least no injuries lol

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There isn't a brake that stops the blade instantly on any saw other than the Sawstop table saw. It will only do that if you touch the blade when running it. It jambs a rod into the teeth of the blade and brings it to an immediate stop. In the process it destroys the blade and the brake mechanism.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makita

Stroby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No malice or forethought intended.....but it boils down to the fact that a saw blade will cut whatever is fed into it.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dewalt does not coast, but does not stop instantly, so must have some kind of brake.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It isn't a rod, it is a soft aluminum block. The force of stopping the blade also jerks it down below the table. It also is not a fast stopping saw at all, it stops in about 10 seconds when shut off. (the electronic trigger is active until the blade has stopped for about 100ms. We have two of them and each has gone off, one 2 times and one 3 times. Four of the "stops" were due to wet or treated wood. I was standing where the 5th one was tripped.
I was the teacher two semesters ago. I walked up about 5 feet away from the 25yr old that is the son of a contractor. He described himself as a professional. I watched as he ran a 20 inch by 3 inch piece of 3/4" plywood through the saw with his fingers between the blade and fence. I waited until he had pushed it through and shut off the saw. I told him he had to use a push stick....... As I was in the middle of this instruction, he reached down to the saw table and attempted to pick up the scrap he had cut off. His middle finger touched the still spinning blade triggering the stop. Everyone (18 people) jumped about a foot i some direction. The blade made a v shaped nick in the center of his finger nail, about 1/16th inch deep, and a tiny scratch in the finger tip about 1/8th inch long, but only through 1 layer of skin. It didn't bleed enough to make a spot on a tissue. It worked as advertized. Each triggering costs about 120 USD for a new wedge/electronics, and blade. Jim

gregww
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 10" Makita and a 12" Dewalt. A friend has A Hitachi. They all have a "Brake". As stated earlier they do not stop instantly. They do stop faster than saws without a brake I suppose. I'm surprised anyone still makes a saw without a blade brake.

gregww
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blade stop technology is not new. This saws motor knows exactly when the operators finger gets in the blade.
http://waterbuckpump.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/table-saw.gif Shocked

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"My dewalt does not coast, but does not stop instantly, so must have some kind of brake."

Typically, on "coast down", a saw motor acts like a generator and PRODUCES voltage/current, and the trigger switch is set up to short the motor leads together when you release it, causing a sort of "regenerative braking".

Thant's been the "norm" for decades, and the effect is the same as if an actual mechanical brake was being activated and quickly slowing down/stopping the saw.

Of course, the "sawstop" electronically triggered, mechanically destructive systems are another matter, altogether.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some people just shouldn't be around machinery or even a shop. One shop I worked for one of the bosses was going to cut a piece of wood 7/8" wide and held his hand up looking at his thumb and said it didn't look 7/8" and proceeded to cut the strip of wood until it got to his thumb where it got him. It barely nicked him so it was funny. Another shop a guy was cutting a used piece of wood that had a nail in it hanging down and when it reached the table and got caught instead of shutting the saw off he reaches over the blade and tries to pick up the board. When it kicked back it drew his thumb through the blade taking it off. He was off work for a month or so and when he came back to work he was assigned any work that didn't involve machinery so they had him cutting adjustable shelf standards for bookcases with a hack saw. Within a few days he managed to cut the tendons off two or three fingers with the hack saw.

The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: miter saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others say, if you're talking about a safety stop mechanism to instantly stop the saw on skin contact, then NO. Nobody makes that in a miter saw.

If you're talking about a true blade brake that slows the blade rotation down more quickly after the trigger is released, then yes. All the major makers do this, Milwaukee, Makita, Hitachi, DeWalt, etc. I haven't used one for years that didn't have a brake. Even my new Dewalt circular saw has one now.

Grouse

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters