Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since the temp bumped up to 62F today, I loaded the 30 gal ash can into the FEL of the Kubota B2150 and headed for the woods this morning. A muddy mess to say the least. While there I cut a maple sapling to make a handle for my old peeve head. Too much snow to get back where there are some nice ash saplings. I cut this maple and trimmed it down with my draw plane to fit the head, and then hung it over the wood boiler to dry for the next week. and then I will refine the fit. Far from perfect, but it will likely not see much of any use. My steel Cant/log lifter, and the cant that I redid the handle in a few days back will get the work done.
This one will likely be added to my display of antique hand tools.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in SJ we would call that a true piece of "Piney" art work. Kinda regional thing. A piney is the backwoods natives of old time south jersey. Very rustic and home brew looking. Some day wayyyyy in the future an antique dealer will sell that to a collector of Americana for their new rustic cabin to hang over the living room bay window. And I wonder how much money they will spend on it. Whatcha think??

Brian G. NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My ol' man gave me both his peavey and his cant hook.
I believe yours is a cant hook as it has no spike on the end.
As I understand it, peaveys were used mostly by loggers floating logs in the river.
Why my ol' man had one of each I don't know and it's too late to ask now.

sms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the exact words but the old logger's had an expression, "Throw a crook in 'er'". Meaning lean into the peavee handle hard enough to bend it. You already have that.

Don S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad used to use a piece of broken window glass to fine tune hammer handles; got smaller shavings.

farmall 400
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my dad always kept a few pieces of broken glass wrapped in paper for fine detail woodwork

greenmech
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kinda looks like my home made model. Ron MN

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The spike just isn't in the bottom yet. I had to forge one out with the torch and hammer after I did a rough fit on the handle.
As seen in pic of my cant and peeve, cants have a lip on the foot to grip the logs. This is a peeve head with no lip as seen in the pic. The spike drives in to the bottom of handle and expand the handle the same as a wedge on an ax head, and locks the head on.
Loren

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I will have to put the cruel to the back so I put a "straightening" to it.
Loren

Brian G. NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I see said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw."

I never looked at the peavey that closely...makes perfectly good sense.

Thanks

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: It Ain't Pretty, But Has Character Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a very handy tool. I still use the cant hook that that dad bought on a farm sale about 47 years ago. It looks like one in picture but has a 5 foot handle.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters