Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

M widened narrow front?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred47M
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seen pix of narrow front m with the front wheels set wider. They just flipped them inside out right? Probably a little more stable, but do they steer much harder that way. Just curious? Ultimately want a wide front. Thanks

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes it will steer harder why would you want them wide???

leroy in ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gene, 1 reason for setting to wider position was having to feed cattle in this area is a clay soil that likes to ball up, also its easier to clear mud and manure from pedestal area in freezing weather with a spade.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No more/less 'stable' than any other narrow front. I don't think it will be any easier/harder,but will tend to be more 'jerky' as one side or the other encounters a rock/clod,or other obstacle.I agree,the reason to be wide would be for easier clean out of mud.

Fred47M
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makes sense i will probably try it this spring. Thanks

redih55
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was growing up on the farm, we had an M that Dad widened out the front tricycle wheels in the wintertime. It kept the mud from balling up in between the tires. Worked pretty well. Don't remember if it handled any differently.

KenL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a suicide knob on your steering wheel be careful and keep your thumbs out of the way. If one tire hits something hard it will tear the steering wheel out of your hands and possibly make an awfully sore thumb.

F-Dean
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I prefer a narrow front because you have less "Herding" problems.

Fred47M
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok maybe i wont. I am a rookie to tractors, sounds like the bad outweighs the good.Thanks

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have M & 450 with narrow front endsee. and have run them narrow and wide. They don't have power steering and don't steer hard in wide position. They can be set in three positions and I have only used narrow and wide settings.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a mud scraper on ours did ok here but I can see in different soils that you would want them wide

notjustair
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when I started farming, an M with live hydraulics was my loader tractor. I had to widen out the narrow front to feed cattle in the mud. Even with a scraper it was just a mess that would freeze rock solid. I still have the tractor - I took off the loader years ago and use it just to grind feed. I've been meaning to narrow it up just because I like the looks of them close together, but it gets forgotten everytime I back it into the shed.

I never felt like it handled different but it has power steering. It's like the rear wheels dished in - it just doesn't look right in my mind unless the fronts are as close as they can get. Course, I've got oversized tires on the front anyway for feeding with so it doesn't look quite right as it is.

Tom Dowling
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

four positions with that rim and hub style--two outside the hub and two inside the hub.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only advantage I would see is less sinking in mud.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: M widened narrow front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DeltaRed, I agree with you. Just a question tho. Were they not supposed to stay on row better on bedded crops, do not do bedded here in Ohio.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters