Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

McCormick model 21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The speed of the apron is controled by yhe ratchet on the rear axle in if one tooth at a time or 3 teeth or 5 teeth and that is set by the multiple notches on the lever. DO not use untill you get it put together before you are looking for a different spreader. Yes apron speed will change by how fast you pull it and also beater speed but to cordinate speeds for unloading it is from the ratchet on the wheel, Even some of the older PTO powered spreaders used that ratchet on the wheel to power the web while the PTO only powered the beaters. And then the only speed adjustment on the beaters was how fast you ran the engine on the tractor.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say you feel the hitch has been replaced, that would explain why the levers were taken apart and not put together correctly. You will have to be able to take apart again and put the pieces back where they belong instead of on opposides.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know if you realiesed it but you did a no no by puting your email in this post, not supposed to do it but it is for your own safty. By doing that you put it out there for any and all scamers-hackers to get it and tyen load you down with junk or send trash to other people making them think it came from you instead of where it actually came from.

pburg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had several Mod 200 IHC spreaders, and your Mod 21 looks similar to the 200. In fact I've
never heard of a "21" spreader. I know that there are several suggestions given here. But don't
do any modifications until you're sure of what you're doing. Yes, your tire tread is wrong, but
all you have to do is switch the tires around---L to R, and R to L. No big deal. The two levers on the front---One simply engages the beaters. The other engages the floor mechanism--AND controls its
speed, depending on which notch you have selected. I usually use the fastest speed while driving
about 5mph. This speed will do a good job of shredding the poo, and throwing it a good distance.
There are lots of grease fittings---make sure you clean the zerk (grease fitting) before you put
the grease gun to it. A well-lubed spreader will last a long time. Don't over-look lubing the axle
bearings. If you have more questions about your spreader, I'm willing to help.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No I didn't know about the email not allowed. But it's not allowing me to delete anything. It says editing has been temporarily turned off. I am sorry

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is certainly a No 21. I found the manuel for one and I found a picture taken on 1956 of one. If the dials were put on wrongly ( the on n off only is really for the beaters n the several notches for the apron ) then these had to been originally placed on incorrectly or al least a VERY long time ago. If I could add pictures then you could see why I say this. This spreader has been operating a long time like this.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sent you an email ( hope its allowable to tell you this here ). I wasn't able to attach the pictures but if you reply I will.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on this spreader all mechanisms for the beaters are on the left. There a a round wheel that actually looks like a ratchet wheel behind a shield ( similar to old bike chains ) this sprocket has a piece that goes into the teeth and locks in place when the arm on left is in the very top notch. Other than when in the very top notch the beaters are not locked in. Since I'm alone it's impossible for me to see what happens with the mechanisms when I unlock and pull the spreader ,,,,

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sorry they are on the RIGHT side of the spreader that work the
beaters

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just sent you an email

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It really doesn't matter which handle works which function as long as YOU know and can operate it properly.

Drive the spreader around empty to watch and learn how it operates, and which lever and settings looks right.

Being a ground drive spreader, you must disconnect the mechanisms (both floor chains and beaters) when you are
driving from the barn to the field where you are going to unload the spreader. No need to have the beaters engaged if
the load is not moving backward in the spreader to be spread. Even more Critical...if you leave the floor chain
engaged as you move to the field (and the beaters are not spinning) it will jam the load into the back of the
spreader and JAM or break the beaters....or make a dandy mess on your driveway.

So 1) disengage both floor and beaters when not in the field. 2) do not fill the spreader full in the back to the
point of jamming the beaters...you want the load to gradually move back into the beaters. 3) Try some different
settings for the floor. Start with the slowest movement first, see how that works, if too slow move to a faster
setting. Eventually you will learn which setting is right for the types of loads and fields you have. Once you
understand what works best for your situation, you can just use the same settings every time you spread.

I am sure this is the basic instruction you will get in the manual... when it arrives. In the interim the barn needs
to be cleaned. So 1) be sure the spreader is totally disengaged when driving to and from the field. 2) don't over
fill the area near the beaters 3) experiment to find the best settings and ENGAGE both floor and betters when
spreading. 4) disengage when finished spreading and going back to the barn. 4 important steps.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters