Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Add on power steering for a 430

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatpkr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Case 431T, general purpose tractor, that doesn?t have power steering. Is it possible to add on now? I have a parts manual that shows
the pump and related parts. This is a 1961 model with a 188 CI Diesel engine. I don?t see an opening on the engine to install the pump though.
Thanks
Jim

Cariboo4x4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the diesel 188 in my Case W3 (530). It has power steering and pump is mounted just below generator. There is a approx 3' diameter hole surrounded by 3 bolt holes in front engine cover for pump to be inserted. My generator actually mounts on top of my power steering pump. The pump has a gear that meshes with of gears under the front cover.

Currently my pump is worn out and trying to find a replacement. Its hard item to find. I thought of removing gear on pump so it does not turn and fabbing another pump to run off fan belt yet that would be my last last resort. It would be a tight fit because I have a loader to put back on tractor.

I can take photos of my current set-up before and after I put it back together.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gee, I thought that I had the only Turbo Charged 431. HeHe. Your tractor would have had a pump that bolted to the RH side back of the engine timing cover and powered a CharLynn rotary motor which was spliced into the steering shaft and mounted on a side rail on the LH side of the tractor. The generator mount, bolted to the pump housing.
Loren

flatpkr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does 431T mean turbo diesel? Or are you just pulling my leg?
Jim

Cariboo4x4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-flatpkr wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:31:13 03/05/1Cool Does 431T mean turbo diesel? Or are you just pulling my leg?
Jim

I'm pretty sure he is pulling our legs haha,

CKRICHARD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to eBay look up case backhoe power steering pump and you will find lots. This is also a good way to find brake parts, radiators for 430 530 because there is aftermarket support for case backhoes.
Richard

dkeav
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He's not pulling your leg, because he modified his 430 with a turbo, but there was no factory option. Look up his posts that document it though, its worth a hearty chuckle in the Tim Allen more powah!! kinda way.

The stock 430 setup on the wide fronts used two cylinders which are now unobtanium. Like Loren said though, you can use the power steering setup off of say a 300 with the charlynn pump/cylinder and just splice it into your steering shaft.

Cariboo4x4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's great info to know!

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

His 431 is prior to hydrostatic steering. The early 4-630s used the Charlinn hydro motor units mounted down on the frame rail or up under the dash with the shaft connected to it. The punp was mounted on the RH of timing housing and had a reservoir mounted above the pump back on the block.
Thanks to Bro. some pics should follow.
Loren

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

cnt

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my tractor the T means Turbo Charged.
To add a Power Steering pump you will need to remove the cast pedestal that the generator mounts to. It is held to the timing cover with 3 3/8" bolts, and then bolt in a pump that utilizes those 3 bolts, and has a mounting flange for a different generator mount.
Loren

Cariboo4x4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Adirondack case gu wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:36:41 03/06/1Cool On my tractor the T means Turbo Charged.
To add a Power Steering pump you will need to remove the cast pedestal that the generator mounts to. It is held to the timing cover with 3 3/8" bolts, and then bolt in a pump that utilizes those 3 bolts, and has a mounting flange for a different generator mount.
Loren

Very cool! Must have some serious power!

Cariboo4x4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heres where my power steering pump attaches to diesel 188 engine:

Cariboo4x4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the remote reservoir on left and bracket that bolts to pump on right sitting on top of generator. I wish my engine was nice and clean for photo!

Cariboo4x4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Add on power steering for a 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I started another post the other day with photos of my pump.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters