Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gluten free?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to say the cookies weren't the problem, but Oats doesn't contain gluten. Perhaps it was some sort of other intolerance with the cookies?

The only way oats has gluten in it is if it is contaminated with wheat flour.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-hay hay hay wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:38:57 03/13/1Cool I was clinically diagnosed with celiac disease 20 years ago. That involves a biopsy of the lower intestine .....not pleasant. So I have been on a gluten-free diet all those years . if I accidentally get a small amount of gluten , I have a very severe reaction. When I was first diagnosed nobody had ever heard of celiac disease and gluten-free food was very hard to find. My wife became a master at making very good gluten-free food , but eating in a restaurant meant ....steak and fries. about five years ago gluten-free food became a fad and a lot of people who were not diagnosed with celiac disease , decided they were sensitive to gluten (and they may be.).But Celiac disease is real , but rare , less than 1% of the USA population , and most common in people of Scandinavian or Northern European descent.

Gluten problems in people is not fake as Hay Hay Hay can attest. We can’t hide our head in the sand, it is real. It’s very real for those with celiac, an autoimmune disease that can be deadly, and it’d real for those with a gluten intollerance. Marilyn has celiac, my neighbor’s daughter has celiac. I have a gluten intollerance, so does my sister. With celiac sufferers lesions can form on their organs or on their skin. When Marilyn and I talk about this to friends it’s surprising how many more people have a gluten problem.

However, I don’t think going ‘gluten free’ for a person who doesn’t have a gluten problem makes them healthier.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All of these diet trends are just that trends. Yes it is true, some folks do have issues with some foods. BUT , and this is a big but, it is usually more about how the food is prepared and processed, than the food itself. Good example would be store bought cookies, these things are loaded with things to extend shelf life, and are made from the absolute cheapest ingredients available, from any corner of the world. The oatmeal cookies that Gramma made for you didn?t bother you, but granny only used simple ingredients, and never gave any thought if they would still seem ?fresh? 6 weeks after she baked them.
I believe the trouble is more that we eat too much over processed, prepackaged, ready to serve food. All of these diet trends make a fortune for the marketers that can use fear, or hollow promise to sell their products. And just like weatherman, if they are wrong.... oh well, on to the next gimmick.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're probably right but with the crappy food system we have now the problems are real.How many people are going to make everything from scratch these days?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

18 replies so far and nobody has gotten the joke.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well since it is not a tractor post I did not pay any attention.

Bud Sather in MT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife has been cooking gluten free for 20 years. It was difficult to find foods back then so Diane made everything from scratch. Now its a cinch, just pick it off of the shelf in the grocery store. I did the biopsy to determine if I was celiac, better that than suffer. Before we finally got it figured out I was down to 125 pounds. Lucky for me I am now 35 + pounds heavier,( big grin). Bud

1946 BN IHC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes " gluten "or fruktin is a sensitize. Just like walking though poisinivy isn't an automatic sesitizer. "IT MAY TAKE YEARS " of exposier to the sibstance to cause the imune system to "crash". Mine did. 4 years ago my kidny function (for a reasonably health 62 year old, none imbiber, crashed. Function went from mid 70 %ile to the low 40 %ile and dropping. The culperate anything with glutin and liquid dairy. In other words cut out drasticly any thing with these included in their contents. THAT WAS HARD for a person who would have 4 to 6 pieces of toast cinamin and sugar at a stiitng once or twice a week after a long day along with several large glasses of dairy milk 2% or homoginized. Slowly over 1 &1/2 years the K function rebounded to mid 60%ile range and is now holding acording to the last blood test.
YES FRUTAN is As I have just learned could also be the cause.
Now "NOTICE" when I have anything with in particular "WHEAT" but also other with glutin MY STOMACH DOES THE "FLIPPS"
So when I eat out I have FEW choises. If I eat somthing with wheat suffer discomfort or carfully choose the few remaining options and hope there is very very little glutin fruktin in it.
Wm.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well if you would follow the Corner guys advice and put squash on the table ,you wouldn't be such a glutton.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We got it.

krm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow! You guys are a Glutton for Gluten!

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When my son was in the second grade a little girl in his class who was known to be allergic to peanuts went on their class trip and ate french fries cooked in peanut oil.....She DIED..in Just minutes... yes 7 Year?s old. .Food allergies or food reactions are not a joke. Ask a diabetic.

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes our family is the same way .I was diagnosed 20 years ago and my wife became a gluten-free gourmet cooking expert . She made great food and gluten-free. But going out to a restaurant or traveling was a problem. I?m sure glad the gluten-free fad came along because many restaurants now have a gluten-free menu and there are many more gluten-free items in the grocery store. Having this condition makes you an expert on what is in it. I am sure glad we have food labeling laws. I guess that the diabetics and other people with allergies read the labels carefully too.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

coulda been a typo.

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gluten free? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I missed it. Wasn't paying attention. Still thinking about the Alice Chambers Tractor, Cycle more, and Hay Tittor for sale on Craig's List.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters