Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Counter checks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Counter checks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It?s common here in our rural area to have a sign that says no ch?ques, no bills over 20$ and 5% will be added to credit card purchases.

Jim in rush co
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Counter checks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We used to carry a pad of them in wrecker for when someone had no cash or not enough, we would verify their name and have the fill out and sign one. They would return later to shop and pay bill and pick up the counter check they signed, didn't matter to us if they had anything in that bank or not!

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Counter checks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I started my checking & savings acct at the small farm back in our little town of 100 people in the late 1960's, well, maybe 105 people, The tellers told me to use counter checks, and don't put my name anywhere on my check book. If I lost my checkbook whoever found it knew how much money I had but no idea who I was, checkbook was worthless to them.

By the mid/late 1970's the grocery store wife and I had bought groceries at every week for 2+ years refused to take one of our counter checks. Embarassed the heck out of my Wife. We started buying groceries at a new grocery store and got printed checks ASAP AND the check card from the grocery store.

Only times I've ever had problems making checks I've written good is when I had paychecks bounce. I worked three weeks for a millwright company one winter, first paycheck was O-K, second check I thought was O-K, third week they paid us in cash. The day before the deadline to file suit for back wages I got the second check back from my bank, insufficient funds. I filed a claim and waited THREE years for my money. Then one dipstick I drove for about 1-1/2 years wrote me a rubber check. Last time I heard anything about him my buddy who was a Sherriff's Deputy walked him from the jail to the Court House in handcuffs to appear in court for writting bad checks. He spent several years in jail.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Counter checks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That"s from putting too much money in the bank- LOL. I haven"t seen counter checks for 40 years. Generic deposit slips are still available here.

P I Pete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Counter checks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the mid 60's I worked in a retail lumber yard, town of less than 1000, had all kinds of counter checks for all banks in surrounding area, also had a pad of them that didn't have a bank name on you just wrote in your banks name.
Simple times.

Pete

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Counter checks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Honest to God,believe me or not,I don't remember ever running out of deposit slips before I ran out of checks when I was milking cows. Three months after the dairy cattle went was the first time it happened. It's happened quite often since.

Pete in MD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Counter checks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My local IGA store had them until about 20-25 years ago.

2x4
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Counter checks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup. see'em in couple of banks. Shocked me at first. Hadn't seen'em in 30 years.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters