Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Positive ground or negative ground?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saw Dr.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?m looking for information about positive ground or negative
ground. I?m working on a 1948 Divco truck that at some point
received a 172 Ford 4 cylinder motor. The 6 volt battery that
was in it wasn?t hooked up and I removed it. It doesn?t have
posts to match size with the terminals cables. They bolt on.
There is a remote solenoid that has 3 posts. I believe it to be
faulty. Voltage regulator to generator. The coil doesn?t have
positive and negative markings, only battery and distributor
markings. My research seems to lead to the coil being the
only thing affected by polarity. Generator can be repolarized
and if the amp gauge worked, switch wires. Is there any other
tell tales to check to determine which polarity I have? Is the
solenoid affected?
Thanks.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any other tell tales to check to determine which polarity I have? Is the solenoid affected?

The 172 CID 4 cylinder engine started production in 1954 so it is not the original engine for the 1946 Divco. You can wire it either way - Coil will be somewhat polarity sensitive. Not sure if they made a ground sensitive ignition coil back in the day but modern coils marked BAT & DIST are wired as such: On a negative ground system, the DIST terminal goes to the distributor. If it were a positive ground, the DIST terminal would be wired to the ignition switch.

On most 3 lug tractor solenoids, the small lug is connected to the start switch and provides a ground when activated. See diagram.

You can easily test your solenoid with a battery, a volt meter or test light and a couple of jumpers.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Although I have seen a few 12 volt positive ground systems, Dads old Fordson Dexta was that way, I've never seen a 6 volt negative ground system.
But I haven't seen everything.

Jim L WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that all the G.M. 6 volt vehicles were negative ground.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not all, Dads old 51 Chevy 1 1/2 ton was 6 volt positive ground just like his 50 F2 Ford.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can disconnect the ARM wire from the generator & connect an analog voltmeter to gen ARM terminal, spin generator pulley by hand and observe small pos or neg movement of meter needle. Not much voltage is generated by the residual magnetism, but enough to register & tell you how the generator was last polarized.

doublebass73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Destroked 450 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:41:15 04/18/1Cool
Not all, Dads old 51 Chevy 1 1/2 ton was 6 volt positive ground just like his 50 F2 Ford.

When I was a kid my dad had an early '55 Chevy Stepside (the only year that didn't have the split windshield) and it was also a 6 volt positive ground.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is said that paper is stronger than memory..............

Saw Dr.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dollar Bill wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:05:49 04/18/1Cool Is there any other tell tales to check to determine which polarity I have? Is the solenoid affected?

The 172 CID 4 cylinder engine started production in 1954 so it is not the original engine for the 1946 Divco. You can wire it either way - Coil will be somewhat polarity sensitive. Not sure if they made a ground sensitive ignition coil back in the day but modern coils marked BAT & DIST are wired as such: On a negative ground system, the DIST terminal goes to the distributor. If it were a positive ground, the DIST terminal would be wired to the ignition switch.

On most 3 lug tractor solenoids, the small lug is connected to the start switch and provides a ground when activated. See diagram.

You can easily test your solenoid with a battery, a volt meter or test light and a couple of jumpers.

So if I replace the coil with a new one I should be fine to wire it for neg. ground? Does the solenoid care which polarity?

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, negative ground is fine. Wire coil posts as previously mentioned.

We don't know which solenoid you have so I can't answer that question. Maybe JMOR will reply. If anybody knows, it will be Jesse.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dollar Bill wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:50:26 04/19/1Cool Yes, negative ground is fine. Wire coil posts as previously mentioned.

We don't know which solenoid you have so I can't answer that question. Maybe JMOR will reply. If anybody knows, it will be Jesse.
Solenoid does not care as to polarity.

Saw Dr.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve seen some solenoids advertised as ?insulated? . I would
assume they would be for a positive ground?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Saw Dr. wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:13:41 04/19/1Cool I?ve seen some solenoids advertised as ?insulated? . I would
assume they would be for a positive ground?
Nope, bad assumption. Insulated has to do with whether or not the actuating coil receives its power path through the mounting base or not. Not wise to make assumptions.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Positive ground or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe he meant the solenoid had a isolated ground which is what he needs.
The ones with the coil grounded to the base won't work.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters