Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Chain Saw Gas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riverslim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having a senior moment. I have an old, old saw that says on the fuel cap 16:1, but saws today run much leaner don't they? I was thinking as much as 50:1.

steve706
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All my Stihls and Husqvarna?s run 50:1 mix.

Two0aks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If that's what it says, then it's correct. I have a Graham/Paige rototiller 1950 two cycle engine that runs 16:1 Straight run mineral oil mixed with gas.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 4 saws from 44 years old to almost new, and I run everything 3 oz of oil to the gallon of ethanol free gas, that's about 42 to 1. I think the modern oil is so much better than what was available 40 years ago that it's fine. We bought a new Stihl blower a couple of years ago and I use their oil in that at 50 to 1, it extends the warranty.

Chris NW Ind
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is just silly.

As another poster pointed out, we have much
better oils available today. Your tiller
says straight 30W mixed 16 to 1 because
that is what was available in 1950. Now we
have semi-synthetic and full synthetic
oils, all light years better than 30W.

I have seen tons of old 30W using saws with
carboned up ports from that dino oil.
Don't see that with synthetic. My opinion
is modern saws are more likely to burn up
from the much higher RPMs they run over the
vintage stuff. 9K rpm vs 13K. That and
poor air filtration.

For myself, I use 32 to 1 synthetic in
everything 2 stroke, from my 2 man Disstons
and Homelite muscle saws to my modern high
winding Husky 357.

If you wonder about my qualifications, I
own around 250 saws and have been through
most of them.

And, to clarify, my only point is simply to
say that old oil mix specs are just that,
old and obsolete. Would you insist that
the 30W oil you use also be 60 years old?

Chris B.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That older stuff will run better on modern oil @ 50:1 like Sthil oil. Dad's old poulan which may of been 32:1 ? runs better on it.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The more two stroke lube oil added , the lower the octane of the resulting fuel /oil mix.
The lower the octane . The more likely that detonation will occur. Detonation burns holes through pistons or cracks pistons .

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About 10 days ago, I finally sold all of my old Homelite stuff. Included were my Dad's blue XL-12, a new, never used (but 20 year old), late model XL-2, a good XL-2 and a running but high hour XL-2. All saws had new or good bars and new chains. Also included were 4 new 14" chains and one new 14" bar for the XL-2s as well as various carburetors, air filters, spark plugs, sprockets, etc.

On topic, also included was an unopened six pack of Homelite 16:1 oil. I DID instruct the buyer NOT to use the 16:1 oil in the XL-2s because it would clog the fine screens in the carburetors.

Sold everything for $150.

What do you folks think happened?

Dean

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used Opti-2 for over 18 years and one mix covers all my 2 cycle engines and one is 30 years old and runs great on it. I don't have a bunch of cans with different mixes.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Chris, I agree with you. I have a collection over 50 of them so not quite as bad as you. Have a Disston KB 7 B. What a beast. Lots of Mc Cullochs. Anyway I mix a bottle of oil with 3 / 4 gallon of hi-test gas. That will run anything I have and the synthetic never smokes or carbons up. I would never ever run anything as lean as 1-50. No way! One 650 pro Mc Culloch saw that was at a flea market for $35.oo had so much dino oil carbon in it the DSP valve was plugged solid. Had to gently use a 1/8 brill bit with my fingers to clear the carbon down into the cylinder. After cleaning everything up the saw ran great. Have you ever seen that pancake muffler under that saw solid full of carbon. Just changed it out with another used one and threw it away. Must have weigh close to a pound.

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

16;1 IS the ratio we used back in the late 50's for outboard motors. The oils today are so much better that you can use a smaller ratio

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Chris NW Ind wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:05:24 05/16/1Cool This is just silly.

As another poster pointed out, we have much
better oils available today. Your tiller
says straight 30W mixed 16 to 1 because
that is what was available in 1950. Now we
have semi-synthetic and full synthetic
oils, all light years better than 30W.

I have seen tons of old 30W using saws with
carboned up ports from that dino oil.
Don't see that with synthetic. My opinion
is modern saws are more likely to burn up
from the much higher RPMs they run over the
vintage stuff. 9K rpm vs 13K. That and
poor air filtration.

For myself, I use 32 to 1 synthetic in
everything 2 stroke, from my 2 man Disstons
and Homelite muscle saws to my modern high
winding Husky 357.

If you wonder about my qualifications, I
own around 250 saws and have been through
most of them.

And, to clarify, my only point is simply to
say that old oil mix specs are just that,
old and obsolete. Would you insist that
the 30W oil you use also be 60 years old?

Chris B.

Chris what is silly about it?

Chris NW Ind
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 16:1 ratio and the straight weight
motor oil for 2 stroke mix are both silly.
Both are obsolete standards yet people
still advocate it. All 16 to 1 does is
create smoke and using 30W (very common for
old saws) creates alot of soot in saws.
This leads to carboned ports and pistons
and can lead to carbon breaking off and
scoring skirts. I have lots of old manuals
and many recommend decarbing the exhaust
ports with a wooden stick. How many poor
running motors can be traced back to
clogged exhausts?

I've never seen an oil-rich mix plug up
carb screens. Varnished fuel, sure.
Ethanol is a little sketchy, seems to cause
alot of trouble with tygon fuel lines, but
rubber holds up better. Main thing here is
to avoid old fuel. Dump it in your old
tractor if suspect.

Clogged cylinder fins are another source of
overheating and scoring. Some Homelites
were notorious for this to this point of
Homelite detuning the saw and calling it
fixed. I'm speaking of the SXL925 and the
540. Wasn't exclusive to Homelite.

Start talking outboards and that's a whole
different can of worms.

To each his own.

Chris B.

Chris NW Ind
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain Saw Gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's also a leaner fuel mix for the same
amount of gas. Makes a difference. Factor
in ambient temp changes and your carb
settings in the morning may be way off from
the afternoon. They certainly change from
winter to spring.

These new saws with electronic carbs,
strato intakes, self limiting ignitions are
something else altogether. Old rules don't
apply.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters