Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

MF135 won't start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFtractornovice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was working on my tractor, took a break, came back 45 minutes later and tried to start the tractor with no success. I got nothing, no click, no whurrrr, nothing. I thought it was the battery so I tried to jump it to no avail. I had some one pull me and it started right up. I turned it back off and it wouldn't start again. I thought maybe a dead cell in the battery? Tested the battery and it was 100%. What is it???

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Poor battery connection at one or both posts of the battery or a bad ground. Or if it has a solenoid that maybe bad. Or your starter button went out. If it has a solenoid use a heavy piece of wire and jump across the 2 big posts and see if it will spin over. BE 1000% sure it is out of gear. If it spins over then solenoid or switch is bad

MFtractornovice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks I'll try the solenoid. I replaced all of the wiring including the battery connections.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

POSSIBLY faulty SAFETY START SWITCH:

To test switch :

Disconnect wirers from switch......connect wires together.....try starting engine:

NOTE**** IF Engine starts, and TRANSMISSION is in gear,.....Tractor SHALL MOVE!

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Possibly faulty SAFETY START SWITCH?

Owner Operator MF FE 35 X 3 cylinder Perkins Diesel:

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check your connections with a test light or volt meter.

Need to check under load, have an assistant hold the starter switch while you test. When you find the voltage drop, that's the problem.

Look for corroded or heat discolored connections.

Just be careful, it could start cranking any time!

Not sure on that model, but the Fergusons of that era used the back of the dash sheet metal for a ground, a common problem spot. Best to run a ground directly to the engine block.

MFtractornovice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John Deere D wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:07:52 06/12/1Cool Possibly faulty SAFETY START SWITCH?

Owner Operator MF FE 35 X 3 cylinder Perkins Diesel:

Thanks, I tried to bypass and still nothing.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try a heavy wire from the non-ground side of the battery to the starter stud. If it turns over that way then you have a bad solenoid since you jumped around it. If it does not turn over then good chance you have a bad starter of bad connections

MFtractornovice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you talk me through that more? "Non-ground side of the battery" does that mean the positive terminal???

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok a battery has 2 posts and 2 cables off of them. One will run down to the frame/body of the tractor and that one is the ground cable. The other will run to the solenoid or start button which ever it has. If 12 volts and has an alternator that is most likely to be the + one. Run a heavy wire like a battery cable from the + side down to the starter stud the part that ha a cable from the solenoid on it. Be 1000% sure it is out of gear when you do this. If the starter is good it should spin up the starter if it does not starter is bad or it is not grounding where it is bolted on

MFtractornovice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. I thought you were talking about the positive post but I wasn't sure and I don't want to do something potentially destructive. I am many things but a mechanic is not one of them!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your welcome. I have been working on engines since I was 10 or so and just drove a tractor that has a lot of parts off of it but had to move it so I did what I had to do. I keep my e-mail open so if a person needs more info and maybe needs to talk it out I can call them or they can call me. Help many people that way and got a call the other day fro ma guy who needed a little help

MFtractornovice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters