Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

MF 65 PTO seal replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PD Abbott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just finished my spring bush hogging and noticed oil running out from around the PTO... really bad leak.

Can someone give me the run-down on the seal replacement process?

From what I find online, the 20's & 35's come out from the rear. Please tell me the 65 will as well.

I assume it would be wise to replace the bearings while I'm in there.

Any help appreciated.

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The oil seal is replaceable from the back. I'm not sure if the bearing is .

54FergieTO30
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PD Abbott wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:17:48 06/13/1Cool I just finished my spring bush hogging and noticed oil running out from around the PTO... really bad leak.

Can someone give me the run-down on the seal replacement process?

From what I find online, the 20's & 35's come out from the rear. Please tell me the 65 will as well.

I assume it would be wise to replace the bearings while I'm in there.

Any help appreciated.

I had 2 grooves worn in the area where the seal rides. Was able to use a Speedi-sleeve to cover the worn area before replacing the seal. 2 years later still no drips. Not sure if this helps or not, but someone on this forum made me aware of speedi-sleeves and I have been happy with the result.

PD Abbott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After removing everything around the PTO, here's what I'm left with:

The flange around the shaft turns freely, but there it has no front/back play in it at all. The flats on the side prevent it from turning when the bracket is bolted on.

Where do I go from here?

Tom from Buckeye Lake
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 150, should be the same PTO shaft. In the pictures, it shows a small tapered punch in the shaft hole to pull assy out. I had to adapt a slide hammer to remove mine.

Seal 186 0325
O-ring 195 522

Credit pictures to Big Deans

shaeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tom from Buckeye L wrote:
I had to adapt a slide hammer to remove mine.

Me too. I think my seal was original from 1964, it didn't leak but I had to remove the hydraulic pump anyway and figured "while I'm in there" and I've got it all removed.

Here's the adapter I made up quick. It's ugly, all I had on hand was a piece of angle iron so I split it down the angle with my plasma cutter, pounded it flat, re-welded it into a plate and quickly cut holes in it. One day, maybe I'll make it pretty. It got the job done in about 5 seconds when I'd been prying and pulling on the PTO shaft for about 30 minutes and it didn't move.

Pro Tip- use a slide hammer! Smile

Tom from Buckeye Lake
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm old, just remembered :} While I had the shaft out, I replaced the bearing with a sealed type. I took the inside seal lip out so it would get oil. That way it has two seals. So if your shaft has wear at the seal contact point, the sealed bearing will solve the problem.

Sorry, I didn't record the bearing number.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tom from Buckeye L wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:11:29 06/14/1Cool I have a 150, should be the same PTO shaft. In the pictures, it shows a small tapered punch in the shaft hole to pull assy out. I had to adapt a slide hammer to remove mine.

Seal 186 0325
O-ring 195 522

Hey Tom, if you've got Big Deans CD, since his family doesn't seem interested in making the CD available, you ought to start making copies or down load it to a website so the rest of the free world can benefit from Deans experience.

PD Abbott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the help on this. Exactly what I needed.

I really appreciate it.

I guess I'd better get some parts ordered.

I'll keep you posted.

PD Abbott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

17. Seal 186 0325
19. O-ring 195 522

Anybody have a part# for the bearing #16 ?

Thanks.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these pictures.......great info:

Bob....Owner MF 35 X & TEA-20

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 PTO seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AGCO part number 195498M1 (Bearing, P.T.O. Shaft)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters