Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 1992 420 issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes116
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is my first post here so sorry if this is missed placed or too long.

So I'm mowing (story form for added entertainment value) and, I end up mowing up a 6ft by 3 foot carpet hallway (I was on grass lawn not in a hallway). That carpet grabbed onto the center spindle and stopped the blades. I turned off the pto because of resulting sound. Removed the item hit on the pto and recieved an unfriendly sound and blades made a 1/4 turn . Moved into the garage, removed the pto drive shaft and pto seems fine. Removed the deck. The spindles are all fine. The gear box manually turned will spin the blades but with added resistance tho. So I. The roll pin looks odd like it might have broken in two. I'm looking at the gear box. What do you think I'm looking at?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NOT sure what you've got going on, but (obviously) you've got to take the cover off of the gearbox and have a look inside, IMHO.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you put a wrench or vise grip up and down stream of that odd roll pin and try to turn them?
Maybe that roll pin is the overload shear pin.
I would first confirm the pin is whole before tearing into it deeper.

I would research for an exploded view of the deck drive system and look at the parts involved. Might also be one or more shaft keys and maybe one of those sheared.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With nothing hooked up downstream of the deck drive pto, does the pto function on and off like normal?

Hobbes116
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:49:33 06/14/1Cool
With nothing hooked up downstream of the deck drive pto, does the pto function on and off like normal?

Yes the pto has been run with the deck disconnected and all seems well, sounds and looks good.

My thoughts good to shear pins on outboard motors. I'm just not sure if there is one and where to find it on the peerless gearbox. I'll send pics tonight after work. Thank all for the reply to my initial post.

Hobbes116
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will give that a go and send a pic.

Hobbes116
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That might have to wait till the weekend, but I think I'm headed that direction. Pricing on a replacement gear box is about as bad as the pto itself. So after reading some of the rebuilding posts, I'd rather spend the $30 and do the rebuild verses the 800 to 900 for a new one. Man I hope it's just a shear pin.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can look up parts drawings for your mower at http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt.

Here's the parts breakdown for the Peerless gearbox:

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would your mower be one with a timed deck?

Just asking..

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would bet either gear is trashed (or both) or one of half moon keys sheared.

Hobbes116
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:40:51 06/16/1Cool I would bet either gear is trashed (or both) or one of half moon keys sheared.

Ended up waiting till next weekend, read up and yes I'm hoping the half moon shears are the key as they are not made of harded steel unlike the stafts.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd start taking things apart, like the gear box, until you figure it out. I would have to believe the folks at John Deere would of designed something in the deck/PTO to give up before you started breaking
expensive stuff. Look at the woodruff keys and roll pins.

Hobbes116
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 1992 420 issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Issue found

[/img]

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters