Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

I don't understand this

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:22:30 07/15/1Cool Im playing the devil's advocate here...
It's a fact that rops makes tractor driving
safer but you choose not to buy them - for
perfectly valid reasons in my opinion =
cost.
But...
You are weighing the odds of a rollover
and making a choice to drive them "unsafely"
Not unlike the guy with the anvil chose not
to wear glasses - for reasons that seemed
valid to Him.
Does that make you like him?
There are many who would mandate ROPS. Make
it a law that you must have it or quit using
your tractors and the cost will not be an
excuse to the bureaucrats who enforce it.
If/when it becomes a mandate what what
choice will you make then?
Hopefully you can see I do not reject
working safely but do reject other people's
notions of HOW safely I should work.

What valid reason did that guy have for not wearing safety glasses after the incident. Safety glasses are very cheap.

I actually don't think my tractors are unsafe without the ROPS on them. I don't think they are unsafe for "what I do with them". They both have heavy Davis front loaders on them. So I don't worry too much about a backwards flip.

I really don't care whether you choose to work safely or not. That's totally up to you. I think this whole thing started when I told the story of the blacksmith nearly getting a hop piece of steal in his eye. Then he went right back to the job again without safety glasses.

Whether you or anybody else likes it or not, I think that guy was stupid. Would you have done the same thing?

By the way, I said nothing about how you personally should work. I can understand some of what you said above so let's let this thing go.

Jimmyjack
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You hit the nail on the head! If you are indeed safety minded, you can buy Rops if you can afford two tractors?

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jimmyjack wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:01:10 07/15/1Cool You hit the nail on the head! If you are indeed safety minded, you can buy Rops if you can afford two tractors?

How do you know what my income is? How do you know I have the money to buy a ROPS? I guess you're just making one of those random statements that you have no way of backing up. Tell me how much money I have in the bank. Come on, back up your statement.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jimmyjack wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:01:10 07/15/1Cool You hit the nail on the head! If you are indeed safety minded, you can buy Rops if you can afford two tractors?

My newest car is 15 years old. Maybe I should run out and buy a new one too.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Caryc wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:28:35 07/15/1Cool
CVPost-Jimmyjack wrote:

You really should check your blood pressure, you might live longer.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:38:13 07/15/1Cool
Caryc wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:28:35 07/15/1Cool
CVPost-Jimmyjack wrote:

You really should check your blood pressure, you might live longer.

Very funny, but I don't think so. I have bone marrow cancer.

All right enough. I'm done with this.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here where I grew up, every male member of the family around
the corner, save one, was missing at least one finger.
Some missing three or more and one missing part of his arm.
All due to trying to unplug a corn picker while it was running.

The one guy who was not missing a finger got his whole arm
caught in the same machine doing the same thing but his arm
was big enough to cause the slip clutch to slip and stop the
machine. He was still badly injured. He survived.

History not remembered is bound to be repeated.

My first boss harped at me continuosly about not turning the
tractor too short when I was hauling a drag. Warned me
repeatedly about how the chains could hook the tractor tire,
haul it up over the top of the tractor and take my head off.
He died by doing exactly that to himself several years later.

Some times we get complacent, other times we get over protective.
Either way, I see no reason for personal attacks on either side.
Humankind. Be both. Smile

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, my first factory job at 17, the foreman was missing several fingers. We all called him Lefty. Lost them when he put his hand into a spinning part on an engine lathe and it caught his ring. I vowed to never have that happen to me but I never wore any jewelry anyway. FWIW: Prior to the N three point lift, tractors were started via a hand crank. Many folks ended up with broken arms when they would kick back and if you were in the way, well, no work for you for 8 weeks. The vintage Fordsons and other brands too would flip over backwards when an obstruction was encountered with the plow. This was another reason Ferguson's team invented the 3-Pt. draft control system. N's were designed with a low center of gravity. Unless abused, rollovers are rare. No need to add an ROPS otherwise. I've heard of states, probably Kalifornia, Washington, and Oregon, mandating ROPS be installed on any vintage tractor purchased too. I have not conformed this so don't write me letters. Now, todays litigation happy society has deemed it necessary for lawyers to make it law every new tractor has a ROPS and possibly a safety belt and auto-shutoff device so if operator evacuates the seat, the engine shuts down. Accidents, fatal or not, occur because people fail to understand the mechanics of the machine in operation. Operator Manuals give some safety do's and don'ts and the rest is suppose to be common sense. Many were absent the day that chapter was covered, or are arrogant enough to know better but eschew all caution anyway. Now that SEARS and K-MART stores are all but extinct, one cannot buy common sense nor elbow grease any longer...
; > ) - GRIN.

Tim Daley(MI)

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Speaking of safety, I?m surprised that w/ all the Vets around here no one has mentioned the military. No, I don?t mean combat situations; that was inherently unsafe 24/7. NVA mortars and rockets could reach out and touch you from far away. No body armor 50 years ago when you were in the boonies either. But I can tell you from personal experience, the Army was extremely safety conscious back in the day. I was in Special Forces. We routinely fired small arms, mortars, tossed grenades and practiced w/ demolitions. And trained in -10F conditions. And jumped out of airplanes, day and night. Every time we went to the range or before a jump, you got a safety briefing. As one example??.Army Jumpmaster school is three weeks long. One week of technical stuff, one week of practice jumps??.and one week of ?JMPI?: Jump Master Personnel Inspection. That?s an entire week of how to safely put a parachute on. Our final exam was 3 fully rigged soldiers. You had 3 minutes to inspect them. Miss a major gig, you flunked the course. If you ever watched the YouTube videos of Army jumps, you will see two men standing by each door of the aircraft. The guy hanging out the door looking for the DZ markers and giving the jump commands is the Jumpmaster. The other guy is the Safety.

But despite all of that and more to the point of this discussion??.Royse got it right: ? I see no reason for personal attacks on either side. Humankind.?

duey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ROPS.... totally worthless.... unless the operator wears the SEAT BELT..

Truly, the safest operator understands his 'machine' and **assumes command** of its operation... whether it is a screwdriver, a tablesaw or a tractor. The operator holds sole responsibility.

Spudley
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took a friend over to see a farmer who also sawed logs. He had a 40" wheel type saw that I called the Snidely Whiplash saw. Anyway my buddy stood watching with his mouth open as the farmer ran some logs through as chips are flying everywhere and commented "OSHA would run out of tickets if they ever visited here" to which my farmer friend said "Why, the worst it'll do is kill me".
He operated that saw for over fifty years and died at 85 with all parts attached.

Your tablesaw reference reminded me of my rule after I drink a beer. The only tool I pick up is a broom.

hunkydory
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-duey wrote:
Truly, the safest operator understands his 'machine' and **assumes command** of its operation... whether it is a screwdriver, a tablesaw or a tractor. The operator holds sole responsibility.

This.

My dad was a safety engineer with DuPont. At the time the "safest company in the world." He was always harping on me about safety - a lot of it stuck.

Safety is relative. Calculated risks. I used to race motorcycles. Inherently unsafe. Had I not been wearing protective gear I would have died a number of times.

Safety also has limits. One very unsafe habit? Stepping into/out of a wet bathtub. I've slipped a few times in the past, once hitting my head on a towel bar so hard I saw stars. Fortunately I had decent reflexes that allowed me to catch myself before doing any real damage. Real safety dictates wearing a helmet in the shower....

The point? To each their own. Be as safe as deemed necessary for the situation.

cowdog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You started this post only looking for an argument, spring loaded in the p$%@ off position.
nothing else.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: I don't understand this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CaryC, if not having enough money for a ROPS makes it OK to be without one, it is OK for every business in the world to not spend money on safety equipment that they should have. By admitting to using a tractor without ROPS you are admitting to disregarding safety.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters