Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Dealership oil change woes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
300jk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wife has a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When we bought it 5 years ago from a Dodge/Chrysler dealer all oil changes were free as long as we owned it. Pretty nice deal. Wife had her oil changed last Friday. We went camping for the weekend so we weren't home for me to see a puddle in the driveway. Wife went to a friend's house this afternoon and her husband told her she was leaking oil. So when I got home I crawled under it and first thing I noticed was the plastic skid plate was barely hanging there. Crawled under further and saw the drain plug leaking. Tightened it up and leak stopped. Found a few nuts/bolts and put the skid plate back up. This really wasn't my plan when I got out of work today ! Hot, humid and dusty ! I was ready for the pool but have to take care of the wife ! I hink I may call the service manager at the dealer tomorrow to let him know what happened. Not to bxxch but just so they know it happened and nobody else has the same problem. I fixed it quick and was no big deal for me, but could have been for a nice little old lady going to bingo ! BTW dealer is a large Mopar dealer in the area with a bunch of locations, so this wasn't as little mom and pop dealer.

johnofnewhaven
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would bring it to their attention. If it were a ma and pa shop it probably wouldn't of happened.

IndianaSteve
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let them know. I work for a Ford dealer and when this happens at our place, and it does, we offer another oil change free. Remember. The lowest paid guy does the oil changes.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would definitely call them, people have to be held accountable. The problem is the is such a skilled labor shortage that they probably have someone doing oil changes that shouldn't be!

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right after Dad passed, we took his car in for an oil change at the dealership where he got it. Car was a Chrysler 300. Person who did the oil change didn't reattach some plastic shield underneath properly. We were leaving after the oil change and got maybe 10 miles when we heard this horrible racket. Pulled into another dealership in the next town and they told us what happened. They called the other dealership, who readily agreed to pay that dealer for their time in diagnosing, then wanted us to come in so they could fix everything. They ordered a new shield, got it installed, then also gave a coupon for a free oil change. ...Too bad we wouldn't be there to use it.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was a GM Assistant Service Manager, we had one monkey doing oil changes who would frequently fail to tighten the filter.

I was at the point of considering making it a requirement for him to have someone else check the filter and sign the RO on every oil change he did, but when I threatened to fire him for something else he quit and took his incompetence elsewhere.

Gambles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As posted previously, the lowest-paid flunkie usually does the oil changes and this flunkie is probably not a tech.
Not to take any wind out of your sails, but let you tell me the story on my car.
In December of '87, I bought an '88 Cougar right off the showroom floor. The dealership also threw in "free" oil changes for life. I tried to get a lower price by saying I never wanted the oil changes, but the salesman told me that it was a dealership policy and it was included no matter what. So when it came time for the first oil change, I decided to have them change it. Sure enough, ON THE VERY FIRST OIL CHANGE, they stripped the drain plug. Luckily, it was the plug and not the pan threads. So I drive it back to the dealer and watched their "lube flunkie" fix his FU. I saw him take a dirty catch pan and catch all the new oil, put in a new plug and then add the contaminated oil back to the engine.
I never went back there again and I never took them up on their free oil changes again.
Side note: I always changed my oil before and after. But I was living in a big-city apartment that wouldn't allow you to do oil changes in the parking lot. So after that, I always changed my oil at 2:00AM when nobody would see me. Smile

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have any CLUE as to how a stealership/automotive profit center works?

If you do, you will feel sorry for the "lube guy", the lowest man on the dealership "totem pole".

Would you want to be in in his ahoes?

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My local Ford dealer doesn't have an oil change guy. Every mechanic there takes his turn with oil changes.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like we used to tell customers if there is a problem with something we did please let us know and we'll try to correct it if we don't know we can't address the problem.

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You guys are all scaring me about having our local dealer 4 miles away do oil changes on wife's car! Can't wait till I get it home and pull dipstick and it's bone dry!

Doing my own oil changes on my new pickup. I did something over 115 oil changes on my old F-250 PSD. I can handle getting 7 quarts in my Hemi.

jimg.allentown
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil changes today are more critical than they have ever been before.
Newer engines take differing amounts of oil as well as different grades of oil. The person changing the oil has to know what grade to use as well as how much to put in.
Years ago, you could use any of several available grades of oil without any danger of damaging your engine. Today, with overhead cams and hydraulic chain tensioners, using the wrong grade or viscosity of oil can result in heavy internal damage to the engine.
Most oil changers are using oil from one common bulk barrel and have no idea of what viscosity it is. They seldom know how much to put in, since different engines take different amounts of oil. In the old days, it was almost chiseled on a stone tablet - 5 quarts with the filter. Now, since there is very little markup (if any) on an oil change, the lowest paid person is usually stuck with the dirtiest and most thankless job.

Then, one of them goofs up by putting too much oil in one guy's engine, and he goes on a rant about how he will never go to that dealer again no matter how much they tried to make it right with him. Sound familiar anybody?

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dealership oil changes, weather paid for or "free" with vehicle purchase are just gimmicks to get your vehicle into the shop.
Then comes the phone call with a list of all the things that need to be repaired or replaced.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If its not raining or snowing too bad, before I leave the parking lot, I pull into a parking space and check the oil on the dipstick and look under the engine for oil leaks. The same as I do when I change oil and filter myself. No problems so far, but everyone makes a mistake once in a while.

chuck2015
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dealership oil change woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-300jk wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:32:32 07/16/1Cool Wife has a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When we bought it 5 years ago from a Dodge/Chrysler dealer all oil changes were free as long as we owned it. Pretty nice deal. Wife had her oil changed last Friday. We went camping for the weekend so we weren't home for me to see a puddle in the driveway. Wife went to a friend's house this afternoon and her husband told her she was leaking oil. So when I got home I crawled under it and first thing I noticed was the plastic skid plate was barely hanging there. Crawled under further and saw the drain plug leaking. Tightened it up and leak stopped. Found a few nuts/bolts and put the skid plate back up. This really wasn't my plan when I got out of work today ! Hot, humid and dusty ! I was ready for the pool but have to take care of the wife ! I hink I may call the service manager at the dealer tomorrow to let him know what happened. Not to bxxch but just so they know it happened and nobody else has the same problem. I fixed it quick and was no big deal for me, but could have been for a nice little old lady going to bingo ! BTW dealer is a large Mopar dealer in the area with a bunch of locations, so this wasn't as little mom and pop dealer.

Does anyone bother ever to torque the drain plug to specification? The problem I have observed is many rely on a sense of how tight a bolt has to be and this is wrong. Always use a torque wrench IMHO. As for cross threading people must be in an awful rush not to notice its turning hard!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters