Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Telling your doctor about TV medications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Telling your doctor about TV medications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Posted this in Tool Talk by mistake, hazards of being in a hurry. I'll try here:

Was wondering if anyone tells their doctor about the meds they've seen advertised on tv? And what does the doctor have to say? After a long break from watching tv, I notice an abundance of different medications for various conditions--most I've never heard of. But I start to itch after some of the ads LOL.

I think it used to be that a rep from the drug company would come around and talk to the doctor about the different benefits of the pills or whatever they were selling. Then the doctor would retain some of this information and hopefully remember it when prescribing a treatment. Nowadays seems like the patient is the salesman.

docmirror
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Telling your doctor about TV medications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, here's my story, names of perscriptions will be "A" and "B".

I'm taking medication A for a well known condition. Medicine B is advertised all the time on the TV that covers my condition. I go to the internal med doc and ASK him about medicine B. He is 71 years old, and has been prescribing A for more than 30 years, he is very happy with it. He will check with the medicine B rep and get back to me.

After a few weeks, he tells me to come in and he will change to medicine B, but has a strict protocol to follow, and it much more restrictive than on the package. I have to check for symptoms twice per day, and report anything strange. I fill medicine B, and start taking it. Within 3 days, a serious symptom shows up, and I report it to his office. His nurse says stop taking B, and go back to A immediately. I do and the symptom goes away.

Two weeks later I go in to chat again and he's cussing that medicine B, that is so popular on the TV - a blue streak. There are younger doctors who will push the stuff, but in my case - he was right from the start, and did a little testing on me to confirm. Seems he was pretty sure it was going to be a bust, but we both agreed that there could be benefit if it worked.

Be wary of changing medication, and check very carefully for side effects right after a change. Mine was a weakness in my arms, and soreness in the muscles and I could tell right away something wasn't right. After I got off it, no more symptoms, and back under control just fine.

1948CaseVAI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Telling your doctor about TV medications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everyone is different and every doctor is different. The drug makers are just advertising and they know that a few viewers will talk to the doc and give the new med a try. Much of the time the new med really is better than the old but not always, and as said above you have to be careful changing because they all have side effects (even the ood ones) so watch out.

Overall the drug companies do a very good job of helping us all to live longer and feel better so I support their right to market as they see fit. Many of us would have died years ago if it were not for the drug companies and their research. If you don't believe it just walk through the cemetery and look over the common ages of those who lived and died in earlier times.

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Telling your doctor about TV medications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1948CaseVAI wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:16:06 08/16/1Cool
Everyone is different and every doctor is different. The drug makers are just advertising and they know that a few viewers will talk to the doc and give the new med a try. Much of the time the new med really is better than the old but not always, and as said above you have to be careful changing because they all have side effects (even the ood ones) so watch out.

Overall the drug companies do a very good job of helping us all to live longer and feel better so I support their right to market as they see fit. Many of us would have died years ago if it were not for the drug companies and their research. If you don't believe it just walk through the cemetery and look over the common ages of those who lived and died in earlier times.

Good points, I agree with you.

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Telling your doctor about TV medications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Overall the drug companies do a very good job of helping us all to live longer and feel better so I support their right to market as they see fit. Many of us would have died years ago if it were not for the drug companies and their research. If you don't believe it just walk through the cemetery and look over the common ages of those who lived and died in earlier times.[/quote]

Interesting comments, but I would question the role of the drug companies in making those tombstone dates longer. The drugs have had some effect, yes, but healthier lifestyles, better diet choices, reduced toxins in the workplace all help help us get a few more miles out of our bodies. I personally don't have a problem with the drug commercials, but wonder about the doctor/patient dynamic when the patient suggests some treatment they saw in a TV advertisement.

jimg.allentown
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Telling your doctor about TV medications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking through an old cemetery will generally show that many folks died at rather young ages. BUT, there are many more that lived to a ripe old age. I don't think that dates on a tombstone tell the whole story.
Say back in the middle of the 19th century, circa 1850 to 1900. What did most folks die from? We certainly had a higher death rate in factories and construction sites. There were diseases that were terminal then that are just a minor inconvenience today - or just plain eradicated. There was a lot more infant mortality then than now.
some of our longer lives may be due to better medicines, but a lot is also due to living in a safer environment. Numbers on a tombstone only tell part of the story.

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Telling your doctor about TV medications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RedMF40,
yes, I agree that it's not only drugs that help us live longer but I think it plays a big part. I personally know of several people who would be dead today if not for drugs that cured or put their cancer (or other diseases) in remission. That doesn't even take into account the more mundane drugs that keep us from getting ill (diabetes meds, heart medication, low-dose aspirin, etc) I'm on 4 medications that are "maintenance" type and everybody I know says I'm a lightweight when it comes to prescriptions. Plus, look at all the drugs that help with pain/suffering like migraines,arthritis, back ailments, etc.

However, I DO chuckle at all the ads that say "ask your doctor if ____ is right for you". If I hear one right before one of my doctor visits, I'll ask him about it and say "hey the TV told me to ask you". Laughing

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Telling your doctor about TV medications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yup, all of the things you mention have contributed to living longer. Plus there's genetics to consider. Some people just have better DNA to start with. And remember, childbirth used to be a common cause of death for mothers.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters