Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New Guy from Illinois Here

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1954Frank
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: New Guy from Illinois Here Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not see a forum for posting introductions so let me briefly introduce myself. I am 63 with plans to retire in 2-3 years. One of my grandpas was a life-long farmer and I worked for him some while a teenager. I've been around tractors all my life and driven a few, but owned only one of my own. From 89-94 I had an Allis-Chalmers "C". The seller had it for 20-30 years and thought it was a 1949. (I later ran the serial number to learn it was a 1942.) He was retiring from business and getting rid of stuff. He used it to mow the corral and lot around his stable. It came with a 48" Mott flail or knife belly mower. At the time my wife and I lived on a 2-acre place and I was killing my small lawn tractor keeping it all mowed. The little "C" was ideal for that job. I bought all new knives, clevis pins and cotters and the mower gave the place a nice, clean cut. But the tractor lacked power. I ran a compression check and the news wasn't good. I removed the head and the local NAPA had a machine shop. They reconditioned the head with all new valve guides, etc. I put it back on with the old head gasket, and it ran like a champ! I would like to get another one someday. Maybe after I retire.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy from Illinois Here Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Frank, Welcome to the site. For my entire life there has been a model C around. The last real farm job it had was cultivating with a shop built 4 row narrow that was made from a couple two row units. When we quit cultivating a belly mower went under it. That one burned up in a barn fire and was quickly replaced to keep the lawn mowed but that one doesn't do much any more but it has a spot in the shed as long as I have a say in it.

1954Frank
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy from Illinois Here Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Butch.
I wasn't particularly interested in an Allis when I bought it. It's just what I found. When I was a small child most of the tractors on my grandpa's farm were 2-cylinder John Deeres. I remember a model 50 and some 630s and 730s. There was also a red-belly Ford utility tractor. I think it was a Jubilee. I remember when they got their first "modern" Deere, a 4010. That thing seemed huge compared to the Popping Johnnies they had. By the time I was 16 my grandparents had moved to another farm actually working for another land owner. Here they had Olivers. I worked that summer operating a 1950-T, if I remember correctly. They had a few of them and one bigger Oliver, maybe a 2150. They were all diesels. They also had a small IHC utility tractor that ran on propane.
Really, if get another tractor I might look for a "CA" or an 8N Ford. Sorry if that is a dirty word on this forum. ;>) (Those old Fords are expensive!) We live in town now and no place to do anything with a tractor. Maybe we can retire to the country side with a few acres...

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy from Illinois Here Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the site. One of the early restorations I did was a C. It went on to a small farm in the valley here and the fellow that bought it, plowed his 5 acre pasture with it, an amazing sight to see that little machine working like that. It had the up and down plow set on it plus a belly mount sickle bar mower. I also built a 3-point for it so it would be versatile for him.

Can't go wrong with retiring or a CA Wink.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters