Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Paint for redoing instrument needles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Beale
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've got a Landcruiser (dozer tender for tractor related) on which the instrument needles have faded, making them hard to read when in the shadow of the binnacle.

I've tried redoing them in a Tamiya (plastic model) red but that didn't improve things.

Anyone know of a mix to make something close to dayglo orange?

Other suggestion welcome

FBH44
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife goes to Hobby Lobby for her craft paints. Big selection, you might try them.

dmat58
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They used to have some orange glo paint that was used to put on sights of a rifle to make them stand out. Haven't thought about it in years. Might be what you need.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of the color you are wanting. I tried a google search and they show every shade of orange in the world.

Ian Beale
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Um! No. I'm guessing here and winging by trial and error. The red stands out fine with light on it but just disappears into the shadow without. I'm presuming something like dayglo or blaze orange (hunting gear) should work. My most local site (300 km round trip) has a limited range of those Tamiya paints which I'll have to check next time for orange and have another try.

Ian Beale
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Apparently Citroen have come up with some arrangement - I presume light pipes - that uses daylight to get around this visibility problem

And the red I have used doesn't help any with the instrument lights at night either.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think most of the paint I looked at when I did a google search for Dayglo Orange looked like the color orange Kubota used before the 1990's otherwise known as Kubota 1 paint. I mix that color by mixing Kubota II paint with John Deere Yellow 50/50. I tried to scan the paint chip but the image doesn't look like the real thing. In any case if you want it lighter you could add more yellow or if you wanted it more red use less yellow.

Ken Combs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I googled 'gun sight paint' and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/GLOW-ORIGINAL-Super-Phosphorescent-Sights/dp/B004K56TS8

and a lot of other choices. I'll bet one of them would work.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GOOGLE "Gauge needle paint".

Also, check out...
Paint

Ian Beale
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for redoing instrument needles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob

Thanks - but "does not ship to Australia".

I'll check and see if the local branch has it. At least I now have an official name.

Nearest paint store has Tamiya X6 orange and X26 clear orange - the latter for painting indicator lights and similar so might work

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters