Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Best inverter brand(s) for reliability?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for an inverter or two in the three to five thousand watt range. I'm wondering what experience you've had with different brands with regard to reliability and efficiency.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, can't tell you which brand(s) to go with. However, there used to be a rule of thumb that you should try to get an inverter with twice the capacity of what you need. Getting one near the capacity used to cause some of them to degrade over time due to the heat generated while in use. Don't know if that's still an issue with newer units though.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a look at Magnum and Xantrex which are well known in the RV circles. I strongly recommend a PURE SINE WAVE unit. In my RV I have a 2000 watt continuous 4000 watt peak unit. The closer to the batteries the better and use big enough cables to reduce voltage drop.

John T 48 consecutive year RV owner

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 3000 watt Xantrex in my work van. All it had to do was charge the laptop battery and run the printer. If I had a dollar for every time that thing died on me I could pay off my bale basket! I found it to be extremely unreliable. Now, this is 10 years back, so maybe they are better now, but I agree with getting one with twice the watts as you think you'll need.

BTW, they replaced the one I had with another, larger one. I got the old one as it was "junk" and still try it on occasion. It still dies, with no change in what it's doing, for no reason, even with no load on it! The fan will keep running but theres no juice flowing out.

Jimmydog
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was just going to pop in and recommend Magnum invertors. But looks like John T beat me to it. My next invertor will be one of their 24VDC models that has around 4Kw capacity and is true sign wave. I've watched as the price on those has come down nearly 800$ over the past three years or so. My current invertor is an Xantrex rated 2.8Kw that I've had for so long I can't remember how old it is. Unfortunately it's saw tooth single phase and with the newer electronics we're starting to run into more and more things that won't run on it. Plus the Magnum I'm pining for has two phase 220VAC which would be nice. Back in the day when I bought my Xantrex the additional cost for true sign wave vs. saw tooth was significant, now days not nearly so much. Just my two cents.

JD

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For what application ? Do you want battery charging capability when AC power is available?

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also they will NOT run an angle grinder. Knew a guy who wanted to do that. Some people have no idea.

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you check the sleep / minimum current setting? The unit will shut down till a certain load is applied. If set too high, a small charger will not wake it up.

Jimmydog
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jeffcat,
I agree some people just don't know....apparently your friend is one of them. He must not of sized something properly. I can run just about everything in the shop except the truly big draws welder, air compressor, etc. the reason I can't run those is simply I haven't a large enough system.....yet. Even my cheapy invertor from the auto store runs most my power tools. Just saying.

JD

Jimmydog
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sotxbill,

I think you're on to something with your guess, nice catch. I was thinking maybe the other way too, big load on one little car battery and it wouldn't take long for the battery to drop below minimum voltage requirement.

JD

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run my angle grinder on a 1500 watt non-sine invertor. Won't run on my little 300 watt one, the inrush current trips it out.

Used that invertor powered by a lithium car starter jump pack booster cables to run the grinder this summer to cut a seized bearing out of a bale thrower in the field.

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm running the Aims Power 3000 Watt 12V Pure Sine Inverter Charger w/9000W Surge. I like it.
Poke Here

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know nothing about them personally but the off grid types that I know swear by Outback

JeremyR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a pure Sine for years in several work trucks. Never any issues. Xantrax was junk.

CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inverter brand(s) for reliability? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters