Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Thoughts on 1600 Diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chas036
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on 1600 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will going to an auction tomorrow where there is a 1600 diesel. I have started the tractor and it starts easy, idles smooth with little to no smoke except when giving it fast throttle. I saw no leaks in hydra-drive or on the engine. It has 18.4 34 tires with 50% tread left. Power steering seems to work well, and it goes into all gears. Sheet metal is good and overall, the tractor looks like it was taken care off. I couldn't drive it around , all the gears works and the clutch seems to work well, but it engages at about an inch off the floor.

My question is, was the 1600 diesel a good overall tractor and what is it worth? Were there any problems that were inherent in these tractors that would make it a "stay away from" type tractor?

How would this tractor compare in pulling power to a john deere 720 Diesel?

scott mcintosh
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1600 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your 720 was rated at 65 belt horspower a 1600 is slightly smaller but they have good engine but don't sell them short.If someone has upgraded with larger sleeves and pistons it could more than factory.Scott

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1600 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is no way a 720 JD is 65 hp. its 59 on the belt and 53 on the drawbar. cockshutt 1600 is 47 on drawbar and 58 pto.

scott mcintosh
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1600 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on which injectors as there two different types.I had one once it would out pull my 560.But running one all day would make your ears thump when you went to bed at night.No I am not pushing the 720 or the 560 they are my most dislked tractors along with the 460.None are here anymore.Scott

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1600 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good tractor. A neighbor had one he bought new. It was a narrow front. After he passed away,IHRedrules and I went to the auction. That one had a problem with the steering wanting to creep so you had to keep turning it to the left. The guy bidding against me didn't care. It brought $1500.

IanC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1600 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1600 were Lanova injection only (CAV injectors), you're thinking of the 1650 with both Lanova and direct injection.

scott mcintosh
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1600 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IanC I was talking about the 720 john deere not the oliver.The 1600 I know has the Lanova injection system.The 1600 is a sweet tractor I would take over the ear ringing 720 diesel after owning one.Scott

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters