Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saskman61
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I go through the new to me 1070, I am finding a number of things that need to be fixed. First is the block heater. It currently has an immersion block heater in a hole above the starter and it is bad. So the question is should I put a new one in there or would an inline that goes in one of the cab heater lines work? Second I pulled the cover off the shift console and can see the whole power shift assembly needs either shims of something to tighten up the gear and range selectors. What is the best way to deal with that issue? And how do you get the shaft out to put shims or anything in there? I know I need to get a manual but I am on borrowed time to get most of these things fixed before it gets too cold as I don't have a heated shop to work in. I did get the clutch and foot throttle working properly now so it is at least easier to drive it now. And I got the batteries out and modified the battery box so if I have to take the batteries out again I don't have to half kill myself removing them.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't think you need or want to shim the shift levers. They always have a certain amount of movement.

Saskman61
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The shift levers are so loose they can come out of the gates, I wouldn't have a problem if it was just the range selector but the powershift lever is so loose it drops out of the slot in the actuator (Hope I am using the right terminology). Of course some of that could be the gate in the top cover being worn as well.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you look down in the hole where the shifters are, you will see a threaded rod that will draw the end plates together. That will help a bit, but we always cut a piece of flat stock and welded it to the shift lever to widen it, and then it would not slip between the shift quadrants.
Those slide out battery trays were one of Case engineering most stupid ever designs. Fortunately they got some common sense when they designed the battery box for the 90 series.
Loren

IA Roy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would replace frost plug heater. You get
the heat where you need it. Smaller and
less watts. Less expensive to use.

oldproudvet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use shim washers that I slotted to drop in there. A lot like GM starter motor shims. They've worked
fine for many years. When they keep flopping out of the gates, things have to be done. The factory
heater that goes in the side of the block (see John Saeli) works great. I'm in west central MN and that
block heater is the ONLY one I'd use. Any kind of in line hose heater seems to just overheat the hose
and cause failure. + it's already higher in the system and you're depending on convection to circulate
warm water.

Saskman61
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I will have a go at the shifters this week if we get any decent temperatures. As to the block heater, I have not seen one like this before. It looks like there is a big nut holding the heater in the block somehow and I am kind of afraid of trying to get it out and things going sideways like always seems to happen. None of the replacements I have seen look like they go in like this one. Any idea how much antifreeze needs to be drained prior to removing the old one.

Thanks again for the help

IA Roy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Katz is the the brand I am familiar with
They have application charts.

Chris in SK
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure where you are at, but I've got a 1070 parts tractor if you need anything.... not worth messing with a used block heater though. I've got a 1500 watt tank heater on my loader tractor (ford 8700). Works good at -25 if you plug it in for 3 or 4 hours and have a good battery. I think they are about $80 at Peavey Mart and pretty easy to install.
Chris

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 Block Heater and other stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saskman61 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:04:28 10/09/1Cool As to the block heater, I have not seen one like this before. It looks like there is a big nut holding the heater in the block somehow

I have seen similar ones, they also make replacement freeze plugs like that. It's basically a rubber plug with a bolt through it, you stick it in the hole and tighten the nut so it expands the rubber plug. The last time I advised a customer to use one, that plug blew out in the middle of the Eisenhower tunnel across the continental divide west of Denver. Your tractor probably doesn't produce as much heat as a 454-powered 3/4 ton pickup climbing the Rockies at 70mph though.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters