Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Wooden Axle Rot Prevention?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpappal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking for suggestions to prevent my new wooden axles from rotting. The wood is hickory. The wagon will be put in the barn during the winter, but the rest of the year it will be outside. I can obviously paint them, however after the wagon is built it is not going to be so easy to keep painting them. Maybe some sort of oil? Should the tapered ends in which the skeins fit over be treated with something special? Once those skeins go on they are on there forever.

Thanks.

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use boiled linseed oil and mix it 50/50 with varsol or paint thinner. You can put it in your garden sprayer and spray it on once a year.

Jon Erickson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Michael. Also, I would brush the linseed oil into the wood after spraying it on.

Bill M. From Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found that boiled linseed oil turns black after a while and I don't use it. The best I have found is Woodlife Classic wood preservative. It is thin and soaks in good.

fpappal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How often do you have to reapply the Woodlife? Thanks for the comments.

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would treat them with a wood preservative then shrink wrap the ends or maybe the whole thing.

Bill M. From Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If kept inside during winter , once a season would be plenty. It can easily be applied with a small pump up sprayer. A small bottle sprayer will work also with less waste but slower.

2x4
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hickory does not hold up to the weather very well. Its heartwood (brown)is better than the sapwood (white) , which will rot quickly. Soaking it in creosote would help but that prolly can't be done any more. Lumber yard may have some ideas.

fpappal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I started this little project hickory was recommended because of its strength. Even old price lists I have found from the early 1900s advertised hickory. You would think if the wood rots so quickly they would have used a different species. Maybe I will be keeping it in the barn more often than not. Thanks.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything wood you want to last needs to be undercover as much as possible. I've learned this the expen$$$ive way.

RJKeith
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have stated, hickory doesn't hold up well to weather. Use Black Locust if you can find it, or white oak, especially chestnut oak or post oak, both white varieties and all as strong as hickory.

fpappal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The axles have been made and it took me HOURS. A few have told me hickory rots, but others have told me that is what they should be made of. I tried to attach an old ad for wooden axles, not sure if it will attach or not. The ad is for "Turned Hickory Axles". Why would they use hickory back then if it was not the best choice for the application?

https://speccoll.library.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/styles/ual-large-16-9/public/AZ%20561_Folder%201_1910_Wagon%20parts%20catalog%20from%20Cray%20Brothers%2C%20Cleveland%2C%20Ohio%2C%20March%201910.jpg?itok=pCKAFBHD

MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hickory has always been traditional for those applications. Sure, it's not the most weather resistant, but if you treat it right it'll last for decades.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bet back in the old days, when they re-greased the spindles, they wiped the old grease off their hands and smeared it all over the wood axle.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden Axle Rot Prevention? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bend strength, It will hold up better in the bending than the other woods. Same reason ax handles are made of hickory. And the axles under load would get a lot of that bend same as wood spokes in the wheel. And at that time everybody that could kept the wagons inside out of the weather.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters