Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1020 head...header height control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So really scratching my head. I have a 1986 IH 1660 combine. I am looking to by a good 1020 head for it but worried about getting something that doesn't match the HHC on my combine. One problem is that the connecting plug on the combine has been replaced with a flat four wire trailer plug. On the replacement plug only the three female connections are wired, the single male connection was left dangling. There are three green wires going to the trailer plug. Now if that were all there were to it, no problem, but of the three heads available two of them were on 1400 series combines and I am concerned they might have been retrofitted to what the combine had (or would it be the other way around?). The third is about six years newer than the combine. Of the two that were on 1400 series, one of them the seller says has no electrical connection. He adjusts "valves" to get AHHC set. All three heads are 100 miles away give or take and all in different directions. Is there anything I can ask these sellers that would confirm for me that they have the correct unit for my combine? The only thing I know for sure is I have three green wires going to a Jerry-rigged plug. Any help or guidance appreciated!

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave can you have them send photo of close up wire connector? Then take close up of yours. Go to your dealer and have their combine expert tell you how to make each work. My local dealer here in North Mankato Mn. has "Dave" He is a master at combines and since I bought my last combine from them they will bend over backwards for me. I paid to much for my 2144 but the service they give me is making it look less expensive every year.

Alvin 41
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just sold a 1020-25'head used on 1660 and 1666.Both combines had 3 prong plug in by hydraulics for 3 wire plug from the mechanical relay potenteiometer. The mechanical links went down and 90 degrees to the shoe follower rod. There is a ht and sensitivity adjustment in cab and some readjust the drop rate of the header lift valve by the step.

TJV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the 1400 series had the electric over hydraulic system it will be the same as your 1660 it wasn't until the 2100 or 2300 series that the potentiometer was changed to a different one, which is easy to change back just cost money, but still used the same plug. The very first 1400 series used a cable to move the hydraulic valve since it didn't have electric controls if the head was set up this way then you would need to do some changing.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very useful information, thank you. Knowing a little about what a potentiometer is, but not entirely sure how to spell it, I am assuming this is part of the combine controls in the cab...right?

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everything I have seen so far has a three wire connection. Hoping this means they are all set but not sure I will know this until I get one and try it. I hate working on electrical stuff. Especially combine electrical stuff because of the rodent factor and the various sensors. Hoping I pick a good one. Prices are a little high right now. May not be able to afford one.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, I have Darrell who helps me a lot. His advice has great value. I especially like it when he gets exasperated with me and tells me to just dig into it and I will figure it out. Always right.

Unfortunately, when you are dealing with auction equipment, if there is a seller still alive he is not likely to know how to send a photo. Only one of the four I am looking at was able to get me a picture. I am having trouble getting them to just FIND the connections. Really a trial. Here is the one picture I could get. This header sold last night for an unbelievable price. UNFORTUNATELY, the reality of buying headers is that there is always some guy who bought the combine. Once he has the combine he will pay just about anything for the heads. So I got skunked last night. But this seems to be a typical connection. Same three wires, different plug. CIH is probably the only source for the plug. I'm guessing $1-200 for a $10 part there.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is attached to the flex pans and relays info to the hyd. valve via a solenoid telling it to raise or lower the head.

TJV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 head...header height control Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's on the head there's 12-18 inches of wire from where you plug the head into the combine with the 3 hole plug to where the potentiometer is then from the potentiometer there's a cable or a solid linkage depending on if it was upgraded this cable or linkage then goes down under the head to sense the movement of the cutter bar and in turn sends a signal to the combine telling it to raise or lower

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters