Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

V-belts for lawn and garden equipment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomIn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The summer mowing and gardening season is about over here in Indiana. It's time to start getting my equipment ready for next year. I would like to change the belts on three of my (older Garden Way) Troy-Bilt tillers and on three of my older Gravely mowing decks.

Both Troy-Bilt and Gravely brands have been sold since my equipment was manufactured. It seems that belts labeled as OEM for Troy-Bilt and Gravely are getting rather expensive. Amazon and Flea-Bay are full of ads for "equivalent" belts, but the ads seldom list the manufacturer of the belts. Rock Auto seems to sell Gates brand belts for lawn and garden equipment at very attractive prices.

Does anyone have any experience with any particular non-OEM brand and/or suggestions of who sells quality belts at reasonable prices? Are there any particular brands to avoid?

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ain't nothing like "will fit" parts and that includes belts. Get the OEM belts.

Ken Combs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gates has worked well for me. But, if your belt is for a mule drive, or any application that twists the belt in two directions, use an OEM, or at least be sure all are Kevlar, or equivalent.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have belt measurements and have an shop that works on electric motors they can get you belts that will hold up better than belts from dealer. They will get you industrial grade belt.

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have good luck with Vbelt Global supply and Vbelts 4 less if used on the deck or engine to deck. For mule belt OEM works best it seems , especially if you have a manual transmission. I don't have any of the 2 mower brands you have. I recommend having the OEM part #s when visiting the site. I nearly always buy the kevlar belts if available.

CKain(MI)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only Kevlar for me....usually from TSC

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The electric motor shop asks what belt is used on and usually they give you a kevlar belt.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have had good luck with belts from those suppliers too, but if it's for a mower deck it needs to be kevlar. Anything with an idler on the backside needs to be a good belt.

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was told that JD requires their own belt, in that their V belts are a different bevel and that generic belts thus won?t fit the pulleys correctly, that is, it won?t ride in the ?v? correctly. Likewise JD belts won?t work on non JD pulleys. They?ve got us!
Any truth to this?
Also, some belts are not designed to have a pulley to run on the back side, as in an idler or tensioning pulley....

Lance Skene
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No tractor manufacturer builds its own pulleys... they're out sourced, and many automotice applications have an idler pulley that runs against the back side of the belt..... its all nothing more than sales pitch propaganda to lure cash out of your pocket, and apparantly its quite a successful tactic... but you can buy belts cheap from most any auto parts store and they will work just fine.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Measure the length and widest width (v belt) and go online. Look for Kevlar belts of the dimensions you need. If you don't know how to measure it, they will tell you. If you have number stamped on the belt you just google that number for the exact replacement. I have attempted replacements at local auto parts stores and they said they didn't carry that quality of belt. I just bought a Kevlar ? x 90" drive (not deck) belt for my 46" Husqvarna for around $13 with about $15 S&H. Got it in and perfect fit. Don't remember the name of the seller but I can get it if you have a problem.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lance Skene wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:11:53 10/11/1Cool No tractor manufacturer builds its own pulleys... they're out sourced, and many automotice applications have an idler pulley that runs against the back side of the belt..... its all nothing more than sales pitch propaganda to lure cash out of your pocket, and apparantly its quite a successful tactic... but you can buy belts cheap from most any auto parts store and they will work just fine.

All the automotive apps with the backside of belt running over an idler I have seen....are flat belts.
Flat serpentine belts, not v-belts.

I will say that generally, a cheaper v-belt for the deck spindles can be had that is not O.E.M. Notched kevlar v-belts particularly.
But unless someone can tell you the part number they used on a machine similar to what you have, it might be a crap shoot finding one that will last.

If your wanting a non OEM mule drive to deck belt, it is even more difficult to find a cheaper substitute that last.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes..there are jd garden tractors and you will find out some of those belts are half sizes too.

Lance Skene
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:07:09 10/11/1Cool
All the automotive apps with the backside of belt running over an idler I have seen....are flat belts.
Flat serpentine belts, not v-belts..

Well then its safe to say you've never worked as an automotive mechanic.

ChuckMa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: V-belts for lawn and garden equipment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my John Deere mowers I've had good luck with belts from UPE Group, found them on Ebay Very reasonable about 1/3 the cost of JD belts and they last. I've tried the kevlar belts from various places and they did not last long at all. The UPE belts are the best belts and are priced fairly.
Chuck

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters