Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What model to run a rototiller?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've always had my eye on getting a 550 because it is a similar size as my 8N for my yard, but like I was told for my 8N, first gear is not slow enough to operate a rototiller.
I have a 30 year old 16hp Ford diesel tractor that I do all my mowing, rototilling and plowing snow with, but many parts are already discontinued and not available in any dealers inventory. I've started the research on subcompacts. But if I can do the rototilling with the larger tractor than I would not need to get it with the subcompact. And I would like a front end loader too.

What size/model Oliver would I need if desiring to get a tiller for it? gas or diesel.

I've not had to do too much on my 8N, just replacing all axle and pto seals, but that is about it. Are Olivers hard to work on? Should I be considering another brand for this job? I'm not even sure yet what year or decade to look at,but thought I'd start the conversation now.
thanks.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of the Fiat built Olivers had slow enough gears to run a tiller,1365 would be real good.

CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. You may have just answered if I need to go the subcompact route. The 1365 seems too big for me, but if that is sort of the minimum I would need, then I probably will forego that research.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can run a tiller with any tractor that has a 3pt and PTO but the question is will it run a slow enough ground speed to till like it should.

CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes, so I guess what I'm looking for is what that slow speed is and what tractors have that slow speed.

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At 1600 RPM for a 540 PTO speed, the Super 55 is only going about 1-1/2 MPH in first.

CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John,
is 1 1/2 mph ground speed what I'm looking for in a tractor to run a rototiller? Does the super 55 fit the bill therefore?

I better read up on them as I see some posts?

CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you know if this site has a listing of what those Fiat built olivers were? thanks

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Start by reading this page and follow the links: http://www.importtractorparts.net/olivertractors.html

Just know parts will be probably be expensive if needed.

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 550 would work just fine with a tiller. I've seen it done and it worked just fine.

Donovan from Wisconsin

Ollie03031
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run a 5 ft tiller on my John Deere 790 which is 30 hp and it would also run ok on either of my Oliver?s 550 which are 40 hp.

rankrank1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For a tractor purposely bought to run a tiller I would either want hydro static tranny or a gear drive unit that has creeper speeds in 0.7, 0.9, and 1.2 mph range with the engine at pretty much full rpm or whatever engine RPM achieves normal PTO speed of the implement.

I have a Kubota gear drive that has these really slow creeper gears in it. I imagine it would be handy as heck if I owned a tiller or a snow blower for that matter.

CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rankrank1, would you mind sharing what year and model your Kubota is? thanks for those mph ranges. thank you. cfb

CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks. I believe a 550 is about 40 hp. I'll still check out what gears they have, but will keep it on the list to investigate.
I know with the 8Ns, some said they've used it with tillers but soil was softe. Mine is on the hard side.

CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What model to run a rototiller? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks, I've read from other 790 owners of running a rototiller.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters