Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Mulching or cutting field: will grass rot before next season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mulching or cutting field: will grass rot before next se Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing worth mentioning, making hay and making good hay are two different things.
Any grass left from the year before is not good hay, it's just fiber. There's no real nutritional value to dead, long dormant grass.

farmersamm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mulching or cutting field: will grass rot before next se Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MJMJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:12:32 11/07/1Cool One thing worth mentioning, making hay and making good hay are two different things.
Any grass left from the year before is not good hay, it's just fiber. There's no real nutritional value to dead, long dormant grass.

Absolutely. There's very little protein in it. And probably very little energy. But it's mixed, in a normal year following fallow, with decent grass, which mitigates the problem.

This year though...…...it's a different ballgame.

We're supplementing this year. Haven't tested this stuff, but I'm staying with roughly 2#/head 20% cubes. We were feeding this rate on some 2yr old hay I swapped for work on some doods tractor. Calves are on creep.

I think we're in the ballpark.

I have a few head that don't come in to cube. I cube in a pen to keep them off me when putting bales out normally. This year it's daily supplement.

Anyways, the ones that don't cube, just taking hay...…(yeah, I followed her around for a bit, here at Uranus, we keep our noses to the ground)

And the ones that do cube....

Pretty dry manure, with quite a bit of undigested hay in the non cubing animals. Good soft manure coming from the ones that will cube, and very little fibrous material in there.

Ain't scientific mind ya, but it's an indicator I've seen over the years. Best stuff comes outta them when they're on Haygrazer. The Motherload so to speak Wink Gonna start mixing in a few bales of Haygrazer so the timid ones get a shot at some decent hay.

Same with the coyotes. See a lot of fur, and small bones, and they be eatin' good. See half digested persimmons in there, and they're not doin' so great. Have to keep an eye on your dog when you see persimmons.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mulching or cutting field: will grass rot before next se Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Calves sure grow in the fall on that yellow grass
every time you ride through em you can see how
much they?ve grown . I?ve put up a lot of hay like in
your pictures

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mulching or cutting field: will grass rot before next se Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my area in Virginia cut grass will usually totally rot because we have a lot of wet weather in the Winter and rising and falling temperatures which helps it rot.Also the quicker you cut the grass and the greener it is the quicker it will decay,let it dry out and it'll take longer to rot.I've cut hay this time of year I couldn't graze and fed it right back to cattle as soon as it was baled and it worked good as far as I could see.

hayray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mulching or cutting field: will grass rot before next se Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not waste the money mulching it this year.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mulching or cutting field: will grass rot before next se Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Slightly OT but I thank you Mr. Pig for the posting and I thank the responders for their responses.

I am trying to get a couple of fields to re-seed naturally which means leaving crop growing till first frost to be combined with the spring crop for spring
bales. I was straddling a fence on what to do that works along with getting my reseeding accomplished and you answered that question.

Mark

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters