Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Kohler K series vs Magnum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlarge54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been searching for a good Gravely crank for a K301 knowing that they're not too common.

I recently acquired a Gravely with a 12hp Kohler Magnum. It doesn't have the points style ignition which I was already aware of. The tin is a bit rough etc., so I'm hoping to maybe put the crank in a regular old K301 when I rebuild it. The flywheel on the Magnum has cheapo plastic fins which are already damaged which also has me leaning towards the older K series.

Any Kohler experts know if the crank might interchange? I believe the old crank is part # 47 142 25-s.

The ID badge on the Magnum is a bit tough to read so these may not be exact: Mod. Md9s, Spec 471529, s/n 17310679.

MNGB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dose the magnum run? If so why not use it I like the Kohler K series engines but the Magnums are an improved better engine just my $.02
GB in MN
Sorry I can't help you with the CS question

atlarge54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MNGB wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:02:06 11/08/1Cool Dose the magnum run? If so why not use it I like the Kohler K series engines but the Magnums are an improved better engine just my $.02
GB in MN
Sorry I can't help you with the CS question

No spark, no compression, will be removing soon to look at internals. I understand why you might like the non points/cond ignition, but the Magnum looks kind of rough and matching wiring harness to older unit will be interesting. Just the cheap/frail (damaged) plastic cooling fan is a turn off.

TomIn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you Google the part number 47-142-25-s, you will find some ads for the part which list the models of engines that the part is compatible with. One example is :

https://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/parts/47-142-25-s/

This seems to show that at least some of the Gravely spec K301 engines and Magnum 12 engines used the same crank shaft.

The price and availability of parts for older Kohler engines would certainly make me consider repowering with some newer engine.

Lance Skene
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Crankshaft in all K series 241 thru 361 and M10 thru M16 is interchangable.... only the diameter and length of the output shaft changes depending on differant applications

Pete_5959
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AtLarge..Where you located? If close enough I have a K301. Has new rings and valves. It was on a Power King that I am not going to get to. Yours free is interested.

r/

Pete in NC

atlarge54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-pete_5959 wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:09:27 11/08/1Cool AtLarge..Where you located? If close enough I have a K301. Has new rings and valves. It was on a Power King that I am not going to get to. Yours free is interested.

r/

Pete in NC

Thank you kindly----but don't plan to be in the Carolinas soon (located in NE IN). If I was closer I'd buy it from you.

Thanks again!!!!

atlarge54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I got the Magnum apart today and the crank and rod appear to be in excellent condition.

When I said no compression, I had forgotten about the ACR.

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler K series vs Magnum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cranks Interchangable but NOT identical. K241 and M10 have 2-7/8" stroke, all the rest are 3-1/4".

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters