Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

WAY OT

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have not been able to find an answer. did 18th century mortars have recoil ?
thanks.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know much about 18th century mortars but would say Newton's 3rd law would cover that.
So yes.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

newton did not know anything about mortars either.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never fired an 18th century mortar, but I've fired many a 60mm, 81mm and 4.2 mortar to tell you that the base plate absorbs the recoil. I've also dug many a base plate out of the mud as a result.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-steve19438 wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:19:01 11/07/1Cool have not been able to find an answer. did 18th century mortars have recoil ?
thanks.

Better yet, why would you think it would not have recoil?

I'm with Mr. Newton on this one.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that's what I have been finding. baseplate takes up the shock. the big old ones had huge base plates.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed, UD.

Dean

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-steve19438 wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:43:40 11/08/1Cool that's what I have been finding. baseplate takes up the shock. the big old ones had huge base plates.

One of those old mortars is just a very short barreled cannon. Do cannons have recoil? I still don't understand why you thought they may not have recoil.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

cannons move from recoil mortars do not. (unless they dig into ground upon which they rest)

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-steve19438 wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:48:02 11/08/1Cool cannons move from recoil mortars do not. (unless they dig into ground upon which they rest)
Cannons absorb the recoil by moving, the mortars assort the recoil pressing against the ground.. Newton's law!!

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:12:54 11/08/1Cool
CVPost-steve19438 wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:48:02 11/08/1Cool cannons move from recoil mortars do not. (unless they dig into ground upon which they rest)
Cannons absorb the recoil by moving, the mortars assort the recoil pressing against the ground.. Newton's law!!

It's still a contained explosion and every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Would a mortar have to be held to your shoulder and fired to have recoil?

It's just such a strange question that I can't understand why it was asked. Why would the explosion in a mortar not have an equal and opposite reaction?

reomack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe Steve just wanted to start a conversation (or an argument)

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not. since I have never seen or experienced recoil from a mortar?.hence the question.

hunkydory
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?"

Just sayin'. Laughing

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: WAY OT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hunkydory wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:13:35 11/08/1Cool "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?"

Just sayin'. Laughing

Yes.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters