Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall Cub - Running but popping through air cleaner

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall Cub - Running but popping through air cleaner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an opened gallon jug of ATF at home a buddy dropped off that I never used that is taking up space - Guess I found its use!

redforlife
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall Cub - Running but popping through air cleaner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

180 degrees advanced on mag input shaft would be piston down on intake/start of compression. The other way piston would be down on power stroke/start of exhaust. Would like to know how a piston getting fired at bottom of stroke would cause any rotation of engine at all??? Especially if intake or exhaust valve open on every piston that fires. Even if a piston did fire, how would it rotate engine the right direction, and with enough momentom for engine to run. I'm not getting how that would work. Just saying.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall Cub - Running but popping through air cleaner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Something else you might try is this. Put a 1/4 cup of ATF in each cylinder put the plugs back in then with the hand crank turn the engine over. If while doing that it hydro locks then stop and wait an hour or so and then try turning it some more. That will force the ATF to push its way past the valves and rings which in turn will help free up sticking rings and valves. DO NOT use the starter to turn it with the ATF in the cylinders

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall Cub - Running but popping through air cleaner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way I forgot to say this. By trying to turn it over with ATF in the cylinders doing that may prove you have a sticking valve since if you do some ATF will be pushed into the manifold and then into the carb

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall Cub - Running but popping through air cleaner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that engine is a flathead so there is no valve cover

Jim48328
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall Cub - Running but popping through air cleaner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to mention this before. Don't be too quick to blame a valve if it appears stuck.I have had several that appeared that way with all the normal checks. It turned out to be a STUCK lifter. They are splash lubricated and once in awhile when a motor sits awhile and a lifter is holding a valve open it may get some rust on the upper part of it and not go down like it should. Before I remove a head any more I pull the side cover behind the manifold and make sure that isn't the problem. I spray the lifters with PB blaster and make sure that both lifters on the bad cylinder are moving all the way up and down and not sticking. These motors don't have much spring pressure so it doesn't take much to make em stick. It's easier than pulling the head and finding out later. You'd have to pull that cover anyhow if you have to remove the valves. Good luck!

rustybronco
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall Cub - Running but popping through air cleaner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked at a cub low-boy a few months ago. Had a bent valve. It doesn't take too much to pull the side cover and look.

Do a compression test and go from there.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters