Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis B Oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allisbchal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Got a 1951 B that likes to leak oil when it gets hot. Don't have the problem when its cool, obviously because the oil is a little thicker cold. Going to replace the seals eventually, but for time being, what oil would you recommend to run to keep it from leaking as much?

Would 20W-50 work or would something else be better?

Thanks!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run 20W-50 oil in just about every thing I have and I have a lot of tractors. Only 2 I do not run it in is the 1935 JD-B that burns oil and I use a 60W oil in it and the one diesel tractor I have I use Rotella oil in it and it is a 10W-40. I have 5 plus A/C tractors and all of them use the 20W-50

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The difference in leakage between what should be in it and 20W-50 will be trivial but if you are convinced differently go ahead and try it, it will only cost you the price difference between 30W and 20W-50.

allisbchal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Butch(OH) wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:53:13 11/19/1Cool The difference in leakage between what should be in it and 20W-50 will be trivial but if you are convinced differently go ahead and try it, it will only cost you the price difference between 30W and 20W-50.

Anything else you’d recommend besides the 20w-50 then?

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You mean as in bottle fixes? I have never personally seen a bottled remedy for a leak. Thicker oil will slow leaks a little bit in places where the oil doesn't get very warm. However when oils are warmed up to engine temps there is not enough difference in viscosity to make much difference. As I said it costs you virtually nothing to try thicker oil but dont expect the difference to be dramatic.
My recommendation? next rainy Saturday put it inside and fix it. Its a short day's work to pull the engine, replace both crank seals along with pan and timing cover gaskets and put it all back together ready to go to work

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are two products that are good at stopping engine leaks and mix with any type of engine oil. I have used Lucas engine
oil stop leak and works. The other is Blue Devil engine oil stop leak which I have never used. Both products may take a few
hours to several days of engine use before leak stops.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used Lucas on a 20 year old truck that mains were leaking and used Lucas and after second oil change they stopped leaking. Also had the GMC 4x4 that the rear ends were seeping at the carrier bearing and Lucas oil stabilizer stop them and that's been 10 years ago.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used some of that oil stop leak stuff years ago on a car I had. I'll NEVER use it again because doing so cost me a lot of $$ due to the fact the stop leak stopped up the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump and it would blow oil filter gaskets so the pan had to be dropped and the oil pump replaced.

chaskaduo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found that those oil leak fix additives usually don't work on cork, leather, and half the time paper gaskets. There made to swell rubbers and plastics I've read. Your experience may vary.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That' strange because the lucas oil stop leak does not make oil heavier or make the oil sticky. I would say you had more going on with that engine. I have used it in old engines that were well maintained with no problems.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This was in a 1971 Chevy Vega and it had oil changes every 3000 miles all it life but at around 100,000 miles it started using so much oil I tried the stuff to stop leaks and it stopped up the oil pressure relief valve so I'll NEVER trust the stuff again

Ted in NE-OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis B Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adding a few quarts of 10W-30 now and then as needed is cheap until you can fix it right. Valve covers are chronic leakers on the B. I
attach the valve cover gasket to the valve cover with Permatex #1 and let it set a few days before installing. Clean valve cover with a
degreaser first. Do not use gasket cement between gasket and engine head. Good luck

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters