Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Muffler and exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

School me on mufflers and exhaust pipes.
I have a 801 diesel that has what I consider the replacement for the cast turn up for the exhaust.

With low hanging branches I have finally bent this piece enough times that it has cracked and the vertical pipe has broken off.

I am considering changing it over to horizonal under the tractor exhaust.
I'm thinking I could order pipe EC0N311051 that shows 1.75 inches and it would fit into my 1 7/8 muffler end.
I could then try to use my old bracket like above or fabricate the gas motor bracket.

So if my thinking is correct this will get me under the tractor and this pipe will end by the transmission.

Now a few questions.

1) Does any one have some pictures of under the tractor so I can see how the brackets work?

2) Is this exhaust pipe flared on the tail end so you can just use a straight extension pipe or is the end of the extension pipe flared so I will have to get it also?

3) If I leave off the extension pipe where will the exhaust end at? I am thinking near the front of the transmission.

Thanks for your help.

TinCan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John,
I do not know what your saying is the cast turn up. What I did on my '63 4000 diesel SOS, was use the bracket you show, without the short piece of pipe you show it has, and used the exhaust pipe, Part No: 311051, from YT.

I took the bracket, and cut part of the loop off it, and welded a
flat piece, that I curved, for a place for a clamp to hold it all tight to the engine, so that nothing wobbled loose.

I'll post a picture of it later today, after I get home around noon.

It does end just past the transmission & motor split. Where there is a bracket to support the pipe, is suppose to be. I'm just going to make my bracket for it there, and at the tail end of the tail pipe.

I am not going to leave the tail pipe off mine. I would think the fumes would come up to easy to me. I am going to just buy a straight piece of pipe from the muffler shop, and cut it off where I want it to end. Straight pipe is cheap to buy from a muffler shop, not at a parts store. I paid a dollar a foot for it, last year. They should flare the end for free. They did when I bought a 10 foot piece for my car.

I do not remember if the end is flared. I'll have to look at mine to see.

Pat

riveroadrat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You dont want that exhaust coming out at the tranny or rearend. There is pretty much a blast furnace coming out of that hole. On an upstack you can see fire coming out of the top at dusk when its working hard and cast manifold will be cherry red. I think you need a flare at the front of the end pipe so everything goes out the back. Put you a rear hanger on there TinCan so the pipe dont fall off and flop around.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty sure the cast elbow was on gas engines and diesels used the one in your pic, my 881 is pretty much original and had that elbow on it when I got the tractor. It was bent so I replaced it.

If you put horizontal exhaust on it you'll what to turn the pipe out to blow the fumes away or run it full length, be warned, with full length lower exhaust the hot exhaust blows onto the left lift arm, after a good work out that lift arm will be hot enough to burn blisters on your hand when you go to unhook the implement.
Personal experience.

TinCan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John,
Sorry, I didn't get back in town early enough to take a picture, it was just starting to rain when we got home. I'll get it tomorrow. I will be working on my tractor anyways.

River, I will be putting a mount bracket at the tail end of the tail pipe, besides the one at the transmission. I will put some type of a tip on the end, to direct the exhaust away for any thing back there.

I will mostly be using mine to mow with, until I get my loader rebuilt, or get a different one. Then I'm going to dig another pond out in the backyard. I'll rough it with the dozer first.

I really can't have the exhaust go up. I have way to many trees to catch it on. Heck, I get my head cut now on branches, and I trim them off every other year. I'm still going to have to use a rider around the pear, peach, and nut trees. The wife won't let me take revenge out on them! But I can on all the other trees. I'm going to remove them one at a time, so she doesn't notice. lol

True story,
I fly small R/C airplanes in my backyard. One day I got my red one stuck in the top of tall ones. Most the trees are 80 + - . I could hardly see any red in the tree, it was so far up. I paid the neighbor kid to climb his 28' extension ladder, and cut the tree off, so that I could get my plane back. He did, when I went to get the plane, I couldn't find it. I had him cut the wrong dang tree off! LOL My wife won't let me forget that!

Pat

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks TinCan
I look forward to your pictures

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, I switched my 4000 row gasser over to low exhaust last year. I used Stanley components that I ordered through Rural King, but if I was to do it again I'd use OEM New Holland parts. The Stanley parts don't fit well: I had to re-use my original cast iron elbow as the bolt holes were mis-drilled in the new one.

I don't know exactly what the OEM brackets look like, but I re-used my vertical exhaust bracket as you suggest. I just cut out the old pipe and ran the new one through the hole. I didn't bother trying to weld anything to it; the pipe just sits loose in the hole.

I can't say what the OEM lower brackets look like; I just used universal hangers from the auto parts store.

The replacement pipe on my row crop ends right at the engine/transmission split. It ends straight and the tailpipe is flared. My tailpipe was way too long so I had to cut off the flare (either that or the downturn at the other end), and used a coupling to mate the two pipes.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John in La wrote:
1) Does any one have some pictures of under the tractor so I can see how the brackets work?

I hope these pix will help with your smoke stack conversion.

TinCan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I got a picture of my exhaust. You can't really see the bracket at the front of the muffler. I'll be out there working on it again tomorrow, and I'll take a close up of it then. I do not have the tail pipe on it yet.

Pat

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
These pictures and advise really helps.

marcusmerritt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford 2000; 3 cyl. Diesel; 8/2 trans.....When you're working on exhaust projects, do you typically coat the mating surfaces of pipes, clamps or other components with antiseize or does that make any difference given the high heat from the exhaust? Thanks.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters